Rainham bungalow and its roof damaged in fire
- Credit: Archant
A bungalow and its roof were damaged in a fire in Rainham last night (August 12).
Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters were called to the blaze in Walden Avenue at around 8.50pm, which was under control by 11.09pm.
There were no reports of any injuries; two women and a child left the building before the brigade arrived.
The brigade’s investigators believe the fire — which destroyed part of the inside and most of the roof — was caused during renovations.
Station officer Gary Collins, who was at the scene, said: “The property was undergoing major refurbishment and hot works had been carried out on the roof. Building works like welding, cutting or grinding create a lot of heat and sparks. Within a number of hours, the roof had caught alight and flames spread quickly.
You may also want to watch:
“This incident is a timely reminder to test your smoke alarms. The residents had a lucky escape as smoke alarms fitted inside their home failed to alert them to the fire. You should have smoke alarms fitted in every room in your home where a fire can start, for example where you have appliances plugged in, and a heat alarm in your kitchen.”
- 1 Shoppers and traders enjoy Romford market and high street in the sunshine
- 2 Man and woman assaulted at Upminster Station
- 3 Harold Wood residents delighted as deer graze outside their windows
- 4 'I'm appalled at no-show bookings as pubs reopen'
- 5 Romford swimmer calls for volunteers to take plunge for hospice
- 6 Covid hospital admissions and deaths in stark decline, NHS trust data shows
- 7 Romford new age shop to reopen again after closure years ago
- 8 Upminster student completes 4x4x48 Challenge for Saint Francis Hospice
- 9 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 10 Council cannot 'justify' stronger bollards after fifth crash in 18 months