Rainham family escape fire after chicken coop catches light
A Rainham family’s lives were saved by their smoke alarm, after a homemade chicken incubator caught fire this morning.
Firefighters from Wennington and Dagenham fire stations attended the bungalow in Berwick Road, at around 1.45am.
The three adults were able to evacuate their property unhurt, and the fire was out by 2.30am.
Joe Reeves, who lives in the property with his wife and daughter, said: “Five more minutes inside and I reckon we’d have been dead.
“Had it not been for the smoke alarm we might not have woken up and been able to get out so quickly so I’d just say to everyone: get one today, it could save your life.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m grateful to the firefighters who arrived so quickly which meant that the damage to our home wasn’t too severe.
“The ambulance crew were also fantastic, they thoroughly checked us over and managed to calm my wife down who was coughing from the smoke.”
- 1 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 2 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 3 Case for release of Gallows Corner upgrade funds is in pipeline, TfL says
- 4 10-storey block expansion of 700-home development in Rainham gets go-ahead
- 5 Thunderstorms and possible flooding forecast for east London
- 6 Four-car crash in Havering-atte-Bower reignites calls for 20mph speed limit
- 7 120-home development on Harold Hill college site approved
- 8 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford
- 9 Secondary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 10 Havering residents warned of weed which can cause ‘severe blistering’
The makeshift incubator was made by Joe’s wife, a teacher who had brought a chick home for the night.
She had made it, using a cardboard box, some sawdust and a clip on spotlight to keep the chick warm.
Officers from the brigade’s fire investigation team believe the spotlight fell off the box into the sawdust, which then started smouldering and eventually caught fire.
Watch manager Narinder Dail, said: “There’s no doubt this family were saved by the smoke alarm which woke them up and enabled to them to quickly escape.
“Fortunately no one was seriously hurt but sadly the chick didn’t make it.”
The bungalow was partly damaged by fire. A stool, on which the incubator was positioned and a nearby sofa, were also damaged and there was smoke damage throughout the property.
Firefighters went back to the area later to advise people in neighbouring houses about fitting smoke alarms.