Rainham and Hornchurch High Streets to get �450,000 grant for revamp
Rainham and Hornchurch will be getting a �450,000 grant to revamp their high streets to help boost the Christmas economy.
Mayor of London Boris Johnson this week announced �10million of funding from his Outer London Fund to 20 boroughs across the capital.
It is intended to “bring the buzz back to their high streets” and boost their local economy.
In Havering this means Rainham Village centre will get �220,000 to spruce up shopfronts, improve access to the river and village, support the Christmas fair, enhance Christmas lights as well as the May Fayre and outdoor performances and activities in Rainham Hall Gardens.
In Hornchurch the �225,000 grant will be used to deliver the Christmas Cracker event, support Hornchurch Festival, set up a dedicated local business forum and improve shop displays for Christmas by working with local retailers.
You may also want to watch:
It will also help fund a heritage trail and signage in the town centre, and arts-based activities for children and young people and work to design exhibition space in Fairkytes arts centre as well as improved links between the High Street and the cultural area.
- 1 Consultations open on rolling out school streets to 12 new sites
- 2 Future of bus route hangs in the balance as consultation ends
- 3 Man charged with multiple child exploitation offences to stand trial
- 4 Coffee shop apologises for 'mis-post' offering kitten as Christmas prize
- 5 Plane crash in Upminster sees man taken to hospital as a priority
- 6 Harold Hill 18-year-old given suspended sentence for ATM robberies
- 7 Christmas lights switch-on to return in Romford
- 8 BHRUT 'determined to learn' after inquest finds failures in pensioner's care before her death
- 9 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 10 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
Cllr Jeffrey Tucker, ward councillor for Rainham and Wennington, said: “I am delighted to hear such good news. Rainham is long overdue for some serious investment.
“Shopkeepers will be pleased with the grant. We are in desperate need of some support and help so any improvements to help bring people in will be appreciated.”
Cllr Robert Benham, cabinet member for community empowerment, said: “This is fantastic news for the residents and businesses of Hornchurch and Rainham. The money will ensure the effects of our current regeneration of Hornchurch town centre and the Rainham compass programme will improve these town centres for residents and businesses for years to come.”
Mayor of London Boris Johnson said: “Investing in our town centres and local areas is absolutely key to maintaining London’s position as the best big city in the world.
“This cash injection means councils, like Havering, can start work today to attract more people into their area, boost economic growth and bring the buzz to their high streets.”