In pictures: Havering’s Platinum Jubilee beacon-lighting ceremony
- Credit: Ken Mears
Hundreds of people attended a beacon-lighting ceremony in Havering-atte-Bower as part of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Beacons 2022.
Over the Platinum Jubilee weekend, to mark the monarch’s 70-year reign, a number of events took place across Havering.
On the first day of the four-day weekend (Thursday, June 2) a beacon-lighting ceremony was held on the village green in Havering-atte-Bower.
The beacon was lit at the same time as hundreds of other communities, at 9.15pm.
There was also a performance of Diu Regnare from the Dagenham Girl Pipers – an all-female marching bagpipe band.
This was followed by a rendition of Majesty played by 18-year-old Grace Schofield from The Royal British Legion Band and Corps of Drums Romford.
The new Havering mayor, Trevor McKeever, then lit the beacon.
- 1 Kem Cetinay: Love Island star offers ‘deepest condolences’ after fatal motorcycle collision
- 2 'Totally gutted’: Hornchurch nightclub owner vows to appeal after opening hours extension refused
- 3 Romford World Naked Bike Ride: How protest sits at the heart of the nude cycle
- 4 Motorcyclist dies after collision with car on Shepherds Hill
- 5 ‘It winds me up’: Cleanliness of Romford’s South Street slammed
- 6 Hornchurch police station: No movement on purchase plan as assurances sought about station's future
- 7 Romford flooring company proposes disused shop as site for new three-storey building with six homes
- 8 Man dies after suffering gunshot injuries in Harold Hill
- 9 Ilford man charged with possession of knife after Romford nightclub search
- 10 Solution to blaze hotspot in Rainham may take 'some time' to find, residents warned
Grace, who stood up to play Majesty on her cornet during the ceremony, said she felt "very honoured" to take part.
She added: "I was notified around a month before the event and that helped me to get more confident. I was very nervous but it went well and it was a really nice community."
As Her Majesty celebrates her record-breaking reign we have delved into our archives to create a tribute to her life and 70 years of service. Filled with photos and history, Our Queen's Platinum Reign is a magazine we hope readers will treasure for years to come. This special souvenir is available for £9.99 online and in-store.
Order online by clicking this link www.gblshop.co.uk/jubilee. Find shops stocking the magazine near you by heading over to seymour.co.uk/storefinder/. Select 'Our Queens Platinum Reign' from the drop-down menu along with your postcode and radius.