Probe shocks Hornchurch chairman
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO
McBride: We’ve reminded players of rules
Hornchurch chairman Colin McBride was still in the dark this week, after the FA announced an investigation into suspicious betting patterns in Conference South.
The FA made all clubs in the division aware of the suspicious betting pattern and asked them to re-iterate to all players and club officials their responsibilities.
Two betting companies refused to accept bets on all the games involving Essex sides Billericay, Chelmsford and the Urchins last weekend, but as of yesterday (Thursday) McBride informed the Recorder no conversations had taken place between himself, the FA and the Conference.
“I am very surprised by all of this,” said McBride. “I don’t know of anything more about it than most.
You may also want to watch:
“Once the authorities have investigated, I’m sure we’ll be more in the picture. We have just re-iterated to the players the rules about them betting on football and that they are not allowed to bet on any teams in the division.”
Urchins game at Dorchester was called off last weekend due to a waterlogged pitch and has been re-arranged for Tuesday, April 9.
- 1 Woman dies after car crash near Upminster
- 2 Romford’s M&S staff go viral with Thriller dance TikTok video
- 3 How Romford are you? Test yourself with our quiz
- 4 Brentwood attack: CCTV appeal after man repeatedly kicked in head
- 5 Family 'sleeps with one ear open' after repeated flooding in heavy rain
- 6 Disruptions to watch out for in and around Havering next week
- 7 Still no progress on plans for new health hub at St George's Hospital site
- 8 'I don't feel safe': Mother who uses wheelchair calls for suitable home
- 9 Consultations open on rolling out school streets to 12 new sites
- 10 Fire and highwaymen: The history of Hornchurch's old archway
“We’ll go down there and deal with it, but it does create the usual problems with players having to come away from work earlier,” added McBride.
“It’s frustrating when it’s called off and especially for us because of the momentum we had gained from the last two wins.”