Poppy Appeal launches in Havering
SOLDIERS past and present were honoured at a special ceremony as part of the launch of Havering’s Poppy Appeal.
Upminster and Hornchurch MP Angela Watkinson joined forces with Havering Deputy Mayor Cllr Melvin Wallace and the Leader of the Council Michael White as part of the annual event by the Royal British Legion on Wednesday November 3 in the Mall Shopping Centre, Romford.
General Manager of The Mall, Romford Peter Callagher said: “We are, once again, honoured to be the starting point for the 2010 Appeal.
“It is very important that we remember those who selflessly gave their lives fighting for their country and I think the present situation in Afghanistan puts this in the public mind.”
The event also included a guard of honour by members of the Royal British Legion and it was attended by the Association of Jewish Ex-Servicemen and Women, representatives from the Police Cadets as well as the Romford Association of National Standard Bearers for the campaign to raise money for members of the Armed Forces and their families.
You may also want to watch:
Romford MP Andrew Rosindell, who could not attend the event said: “The Poppy Appeal has lots of significance because we remember not just those who died in the previous wars but those currently serving in Afghanistan.
“Its important that we never forget the sacrifice that they made in the First and Second World Wars so that we can have our freedom today.”
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Woman, 52, dies in Collier Row in 'unexplained' circumstances
- 3 Boy, 15, was in 'life-threatening' condition after Upminster stabbing
- 4 Teen hospitalised after being stabbed in Upminster
- 5 What's happening on the roads and railways next week?
- 6 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 7 'Poor living standard': Plans for Harold Hill HMO blocked amid multiple concerns
- 8 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 9 Romford school prepped for another 100 years as major renovation works end
- 10 Hornchurch man to face trial accused of teeth whitening offence
This year’s event is hoping to follow on from last year’s appeal where �70,000 was raised in Romford Town Centre.