POLL: John Still has called for video technology to be introduced - do you agree?
Daggers boss feels officials need help
Dagenham & Redbridge manager John Still feels it is time football adopted the use of video technology to help under-pressure officiais.
Asked which rules he would like to see changed, the 60-year-old called for a return to the more traditional offside ruling, but feels the game must move forward in other respects.
“I’d change the offside rule. I think it’s a joke, nobody knows what’s happening with that,” he told Daggers Player.
“Going back to what it was, everyone knew what it was. Nobody knows know, everyone looks round.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “I actually think (there should be) technology for a goal, or in the penalty box, such as ‘is something a penalty’.
“For me, it takes no time. I saw when Hartlepool lost 3-2 to Colchester with a penalty in the last minute of the game. The handball was two yards outside the box.
- 1 One teenager dead in Harold Hill double stabbing
- 2 'Beyond annoying' - New traffic measure coming to Hornchurch junction
- 3 Election 2021: Live Havering and Redbridge London Assembly updates
- 4 Labour's Sadiq Khan wins London mayoral election
- 5 Arrests made after multiple stabbing in Havering
- 6 Romford woman through to Ms Great Britain 2021 final
- 7 Man in hospital after falling 'from height' in Romford
- 8 Heritage: The life of Havering's well-loved Peter the Painter
- 9 May 17: What can't open when Covid-19 lockdown rules ease?
- 10 The Romfood Review: A bit of the East End in Essex
“I’m not criticising referees, but if they can’t keep up with the pace of the game now and if they can’t see whether it’s a goal, penalty or dive or not, then these are match-changing things.
“I think technology could do that. Using goal-line technology and replays for penalties would be a plus for football.
“I think they’re really hard decisions for referees to get right on their own without getting criticised by the media.
“I don’t criticse referees. Very, very rarely, if ever, do I go and speak to a referee after a game because it’s gone.
“If it’s not possible they and their officials can keep up with the game then they need some help.”
Do you agree with Still about video technology? Send in your views via Twitter by putting @Post_Daggers at the start of your message, or e-mail me at email@example.com.