Search

‘Good news’ says Havering borough after police cuts dodged

PUBLISHED: 10:00 28 November 2015

Borough commander Jason Gwillim told the Recorder it was

Borough commander Jason Gwillim told the Recorder it was "good news" police cuts have been scrapped

Archant

The Borough Commander and MPs have welcomed the Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne’s decision to scrap cuts to police forces.

“This is not the time,” said Mr Osborne to the House of Commons on Wednesday as he announced the autumn spending review, which sets out government spending in the next five years, less than a fortnight after the Paris attacks, which killed 130 people.

Figures obtained by a Freedom of Information request reveal there are 418 police officers and 37 PCSOs, including two part-time officers, posted in Havering.

Havering’s Borough Commander Ch Supt Jason Gwillim told the Recorder this was “good news for the people of London” but he called for the details of the statement to be “carefully” considered at a time when police forces are “under significant pressure”.

“We must be focused on our goals and ensure we are in the best position to deliver an efficient and effective service to protect the public from both a domestic and international prospective,” he said.

Romford MP Andrew Rosindell believed the government’s U-turn on the issue was “right and necessary” after circumstances had changed.

He had previously called on the government to give “assistance and advice to outer London cities” like Romford, where he believed there is a “potential threat of a terrorist attack”.

Mr Rosindell also called for less “box ticking culture” in the police following Mr Osborne’s recommendation to continue merging back offices.

Rainham and Dagenham MP Jon Cruddas said he was “relieved” Mr Osborne had pulled back from “the dramatic police cuts” and stressed “at a time of terrorists threats and community unease this would have been a terrible decision”.

Mr Cruddas agreed with Mr Rosindell about “potential threats in the suburbs” but has called for “no panic” since police have not suggested “any specific local threats”.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder