Police warning for West Ham fans
After violence marred the last meeting between the two, police are stepping up their numbers for West Ham’s visit to the New Den on Saturday.
Police have urged West Ham fans to stay away from Millwall on Saturday if they do not have tickets for the lunchtime clash between the two clubs.
The Championship fixture has been branded a top-category game by police, meaning there will be increased numbers of officers on duty for the 12.30pm kick-off.
West Ham have been allocated 2,000 tickets for the game, with both clubs pleading for good behaviour from fans after the last meeting between the sides – a Carling Cup second-round match at Upton Park in August 2009 – was marred by crowd trouble both inside and outside the ground.
One Millwall fan was stabbed outside the Boleyn Ground while the game was disrupted by three pitch invasions.
You may also want to watch:
The authorities are therefore anxious that everything is done to ensure Saturday’s event passes without incident.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: “Our intelligence tells us there is a high risk of disorder so in policing terms it has been a made a top-category game.
- 1 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 2 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford
- 3 Romford drama students to feature alongside celebrities in new WW2 film
- 4 10-storey block expansion of 700-home development in Rainham gets go-ahead
- 5 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 6 Secondary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 7 Havering residents warned of weed which can cause ‘severe blistering’
- 8 Four-car crash in Havering-atte-Bower reignites calls for 20mph speed limit
- 9 Dagenham seal comfortable win over Hornchurch in pre-season
- 10 Heritage: Romford's key role in the English Civil War
“That means there will be increased numbers of police on duty for the game, which has been given an early kick-off time.
“We’d urge for people who have tickets to enjoy the football match and those who don’t to stay away.”