Police to investigate alleged racist abuse of Daggers player
- Credit: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO
Club issue statement after League Two match with Rochdale
Dagenham & Redbridge have handed matters over to the police after one of their players was alleged to have been racially abused in yesterday’s match against Rochdale.
In the late stages of their League Two encounter – which Daggers won 2-1 thanks to a late Medy Elito goal – it is alleged that a Rochdale player aimed a racist remark at former Arsenal youngster Gavin Hoyte.
The game was marketed as a “Daggers against Racism Day” where the club show their support to kick racism out of football and accompanied that with reduced price admission.
A club statement said: “Dagenham & Redbridge Football Club wishes to confirm that the case of actual or alleged racist abuse aimed at our defender Gavin Hoyte by an opponent player has been reported to police in the past 24 hours.
You may also want to watch:
“Following a complaint made by Gavin to referee Steve Rushton during Saturday’s 2-1 npower League Two victory over Rochdale, the incident has now been reported to the Metropolitan Police for them to investigate.
“Mr Rushton has confirmed to the Club that he has also reported the matter to the Football Association.
- 1 'Important' ATMs removed from Romford shopping mall
- 2 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 3 Upminster chef named best in the country with award
- 4 Brentwood deaths: Teen charged with double murder to appear in court
- 5 Two in hospital after crash in Upminster involving 'stolen' van
- 6 Men questioned and 200 hours of CCTV seized after boys killed in Brentwood
- 7 End 8am scramble to secure GP appointments, watchdog warns
- 8 Post delays reported in Harold Hill as Royal Mail confirms staff shortages
- 9 ATMs to be reinstalled in shopping mall in 'more prominent location'
- 10 Eight arrested on suspicion of murder following death of two teens
“The game against Rochdale was championed as a “Daggers Against Racism Family Fun Day” and it is deeply disappointing that this incident has tarnished the day.
“The Club will fully support Gavin Hoyte during the investigation and has complete faith in his honesty and integrity.
“Dagenham & Redbridge Football Club wish to reiterate that they have a zero tolerance stance on racism.”