Police officers who detained an armed murderer in Hornchurch are commended
- Credit: Archant
Two police officers who apprehended an armed murderer in a distressed and deranged state have been commended for their actions.
Pc Clive Deller and Pc James Bushell detained a man suspected of murder in September 2013 after being called to an address in Hornchurch where an elderly woman had died.
The two officers located the suspect in a locked room.
They kicked down the door and were confronted by the sight a man covered in blood, brandishing a knife, in a distressed and deranged state. The suspect advanced on the officers, still firmly grasping what transpired to be the murder weapon. Using his baton, Pc Deller’s arm and wrist strikes caused the suspect to drop the weapon, enabling Pc Bushell to step in and physically restrain the suspect.
On searching him, it became apparent the man had numerous self-inflicted knife injuries, including a stab wound to the abdomen, and required urgent medical attention.
You may also want to watch:
Thomas Blazquez, 51, of South Woodford, was convicted of murdering 77-year-old Rosemary Shearman, at Snaresbrook Crown Court on May 1. He was sentenced the same day to life imprisonment, to serve at least 18 years.
Pcs Deller and Bushell were commended for displaying courage, professionalism and compassion in the apprehension of a disturbed and armed murder suspect and the preservation of a serious crime scene.
- 1 Ex-councillor under investigation over Green Belt building works
- 2 Tributes paid to well-loved Romford market fruit-seller
- 3 From 100 steps to 10,000: Romford woman tackles serious health issues by losing third of body weight
- 4 Campaigners launch petition to keep Emerson Park in Hornchurch constituency
- 5 Firefighters fight car alight in Romford
- 6 Six green spaces to enjoy in Havering
- 7 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 8 Love Island star Kem Cetinay says Romford's Array to open 'in three weeks'
- 9 BID installs wall of evergreen plants to ‘welcome people’ to Romford
- 10 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
Assistant Commissioner Helen King said: “It gives me great pleasure to officially recognise the outstanding work and bravery of the men and women who have gone over and above the call of duty.”