Search

Picture: Halogen heater knocked onto carpet sets fire to Upminster house

PUBLISHED: 16:56 29 November 2013 | UPDATED: 16:56 29 November 2013

The interior of the house (photo: London Fire Brigade)

The interior of the house (photo: London Fire Brigade)

Archant

An Upminster home was yesterday scorched by a fire believed to have started when a halogen heater was knocked onto the carpet.

London Fire Brigade advice around heaters

• Never sit too close to the heater as you could set light to your clothes or chair, especially if you fall asleep.

• Heaters should stand where they can’t be knocked over, away from beds, furniture and fabrics.

• Do not put anything on the heater or use it to dry clothes.

A woman and young child left the property uninjured before the fire brigade arrived just after 3pm.

It took two fire engines and about 10 firefighters from Hornchurch and Harold Hill fire stations to extinguish the blaze, but the ground floor was left badly damaged.

A London Fire Brigade spokesman said: “It appears that a halogen heater was knocked over and set light to the carpet.

“Thankfully no one was injured but the fire badly damaged the ground floor.

“At this time of the year we see a lot of fires caused by heaters falling over and setting clothes or furniture alight.

“If you use a heater please make sure it is on a stable base so it can’t be knocked over - and never use it to dry your clothes.”

We would like to speak to the homeowner. Please call the news desk on 020 8477 3878 or e-mail news.desk@romfordrecorder if you can help.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder