Peeing in public can be a wee bit expensive, as five are fined by Havering Council
Five people have found that spending a penny in Romford can make a dent in their pocket after they were ordered to pay more than �1,300.
Havering Council and Police have been working together with businesses to tackle the problem.
Five men were prosecuted for littering offences for urinating in the streets or on land open to air and ordered to pay fines and costs, at Romford Magistrates’ Court on Friday March 23.
Cllr Geoff Starns, cabinet member for community safety, said: “This is despicable behaviour which no business or visitor to the borough should have to put up with.”
All were caught urinating in the street refused an offer to clean it up before being issued with an �80 litter penalty, which would have been reduced to �50 if paid within 10 days.
You may also want to watch:
After failing to pay the fine, all were taken to court by the council.
Four out of the five did not turn up to court and were found guilty in their absence.
- 1 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 2 Four-car crash in Havering-atte-Bower reignites calls for 20mph speed limit
- 3 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 4 Secondary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 5 Romford drama students to feature alongside celebrities in new WW2 film
- 6 10-storey block expansion of 700-home development in Rainham gets go-ahead
- 7 Dagenham seal comfortable win over Hornchurch in pre-season
- 8 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford
- 9 Havering residents warned of weed which can cause ‘severe blistering’
- 10 Primary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
Lewis Brenycz wrote to the court pleading guilty and apologising for his actions.
All received fines of �160, were ordered to pay council costs of �100 and also a �15 victim surcharge.
Brenycz, 21, of Walthamstow; Emil Tronicek, 24, of Camden; David Miller, 21, of Kincardine Gardens, London; Nathan Miles, 23, of Ilford; and Sean Donnelly, 27, of Romford, were all caught urinitating in Romford last year.