Peeing in public can be a wee bit expensive, as five are fined by Havering Council
Five people have found that spending a penny in Romford can make a dent in their pocket after they were ordered to pay more than �1,300.
Havering Council and Police have been working together with businesses to tackle the problem.
Five men were prosecuted for littering offences for urinating in the streets or on land open to air and ordered to pay fines and costs, at Romford Magistrates’ Court on Friday March 23.
Cllr Geoff Starns, cabinet member for community safety, said: “This is despicable behaviour which no business or visitor to the borough should have to put up with.”
All were caught urinating in the street refused an offer to clean it up before being issued with an �80 litter penalty, which would have been reduced to �50 if paid within 10 days.
You may also want to watch:
After failing to pay the fine, all were taken to court by the council.
Four out of the five did not turn up to court and were found guilty in their absence.
- 1 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 2 'Important' ATMs removed from Romford shopping mall
- 3 Brentwood deaths: Teen charged with double murder to appear in court
- 4 Upminster chef named best in the country with award
- 5 East London police officer charged with rape
- 6 End 8am scramble to secure GP appointments, watchdog warns
- 7 ATMs to be reinstalled in shopping mall in 'more prominent location'
- 8 Brentwood Halloween event cancelled following tragic deaths
- 9 Post delays reported in Harold Hill as Royal Mail confirms staff shortages
- 10 Two in hospital after crash in Upminster involving 'stolen' van
Lewis Brenycz wrote to the court pleading guilty and apologising for his actions.
All received fines of �160, were ordered to pay council costs of �100 and also a �15 victim surcharge.
Brenycz, 21, of Walthamstow; Emil Tronicek, 24, of Camden; David Miller, 21, of Kincardine Gardens, London; Nathan Miles, 23, of Ilford; and Sean Donnelly, 27, of Romford, were all caught urinitating in Romford last year.