Payout for heartbreak couple who lost baby at Romford hospital
�A woman has received a five-figure sum in damages after Queen’s Hospital admitted liability over the death of her baby girl.
Cindy Laing, 32, was admitted to the hospital in Rom Valley Way, Romford, in 2007 for the birth of her second child.
She attended because she was concerned that the fetus had stopped moving on April 7 that year.
But after carrying out tests, she was reassured by staff that there was nothing to worry about and was told to return to her clinic four days later.
At that appointment a scan showed the baby’s heart rate was slowing down.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Laing, of Woodward Road, Dagenham, was taken to the hospital’s maternity unit by ambulance with husband Neill, 36, on April 11 where a further scan showed signs of fetal distress.
These results were ignored and baby Evie died before doctors could deliver her – stillborn – five hours later.
- 1 Teenager injured after Hornchurch stabbing
- 2 Farnham and Hilldene Estate regeneration plans gather pace
- 3 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
- 4 Rainham robbery: Boy, 14, suffers slash injury
- 5 Complaint over elderly woman facing homelessness among those ombudsman upheld in 2020/21
- 6 Harold Hill neighbours still feeling effects of freak flooding
- 7 12 Estates: How is the regeneration programme progressing?
- 8 Covid-19: Latest figures show almost 31,000 positive cases in Havering
- 9 Plans submitted to install 5G mast near Gallows Corner
- 10 'It was amazing': Birthday surprise vintage bus tour for woman with Down's syndrome
Mrs Laing said: “We will never get over losing Evie. We will have a lifetime of heartbreak. Our family and friends have been equally affected by the loss.
“I hope the hospital learns from the failings in my care and improves its services, so this doesn’t happen to anyone else. I warn every expectant mother to be vigilant about their maternity care and not to be afraid to speak up if they feel something is going wrong.”
The case was settled out of court, but the family’s solicitors would not reveal the exact amount.
The family received a letter of apology from chief executive of Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals Trust, Averil Dongworth. She offered her “sincere apologies” and added that the Trust, which manages Queen’s, had “put into practice lessons learnt from her experience”.
Last month watchdog the Care Quality Commission (CQC) found that maternity services at Queen’s were failing to meet essential standards in quality and safety.
Ms Dongworth said: “The Trust admitted liability in this case immediately following the birth more than four years ago. We have put into practise the lessons learned from this very sad case.
“We have now come to an amicable financial agreement with Mr and Mrs Laing, and I hope that this allows them to move forward and come to terms with their loss.”