Search

Fire tears through Upminster shop with owner and customer inside

PUBLISHED: 11:32 17 February 2015 | UPDATED: 10:19 18 February 2015

The aftermath of the fire at Hares Hire. Picture: LFB

The aftermath of the fire at Hares Hire. Picture: LFB

Archant

The owner of a family tool hire business had to run out the back door of his shop when a huge fire “erupted” and gutted the store.

David Hare was in Hares Hire in Upminster Road, Upminster, with a customer at about 12.40pm yesterday when the blaze broke out in the middle of the shop, and the pair acted quickly.

“It just suddenly erupted,” he told the Recorder. “It was very hot. The customer went out the front door but I had to run out the back. He phoned the police and the ambulance.”

David had to be taken to hospital on the advice of the ambulance staff, where he was treated for smoke inhalation.

Amazingly, the shop is just yards away from Harrington’s of Upminster, which was destroyed when a lorry ploughed into it in October and is still under construction.

Firefighters tackling the blaze. Picture: LFBFirefighters tackling the blaze. Picture: LFB

London Fire Brigade, who posted updates on Twitter, asked if Upminster Road was the “unluckiest road ever?”

Onlookers filmed the huge fire as it tore through the store and the flat above.

Traffic was diverted away from the scene while the fire was dealt with.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder