One in a Hundred: Liam Carson on volunteering at Thurrock FC
- Credit: Archant
Liam Carson, 17, of Ark Avenue, Chafford Hundred, volunteers in the press department at Thurrock FC, while also studying A-levels
“I became interested in sports journalism a couple of years ago, and managed to get some work experience at the Thurrock Gazette.
I also got the chance to visit the Metro and Daily Telegraph offices to get a better idea of what it was like and to make some contacts.
In September last year I was offered the opportunity to volunteer in the press department of Thurrock FC. As part of my role I write match reports that go on a non-league football website called Pitch Hero and some are printed in the Thurrock Gazette.
I also make announcements at the match, like the names of the goal scorer, and do a bit of commentary which goes online, so fans who can’t make it to the match can listen to what’s happening wherever they are.
You may also want to watch:
I love football but know I’ll never be good enough to play professionally - this job means I can be part of all that even if I’m not playing on the pitch. I also enjoy writing, so it really suits me.
I’m studying A-levels at the moment at Stanford and Corringham Sixth Form, and hope to go to university.
- 1 Teenager injured after Hornchurch stabbing
- 2 Farnham and Hilldene Estate regeneration plans gather pace
- 3 Harold Hill neighbours still feeling effects of freak flooding
- 4 Complaint over elderly woman facing homelessness among those ombudsman upheld in 2020/21
- 5 Covid-19: Latest figures show almost 31,000 positive cases in Havering
- 6 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
- 7 12 Estates: How is the regeneration programme progressing?
- 8 'It was amazing': Birthday surprise vintage bus tour for woman with Down's syndrome
- 9 Rainham robbery: Boy, 14, suffers slash injury
- 10 Top activities in Romford this summer according to Tripadvisor
Career wise, I think I’d like to work in the press department of a big club. If I could choose it would be either Sunderland or Bayern Munich, the two clubs I support. Living in Germany would be fun!”