Olympic medalist officially opens new Brentwood gym
An Olympic medalist officially opened a new �110,000 gym in Brentwood last week.
Samantha Murray won a silver medal in the modern pentathlon in this year’s Olympic Games.
On Friday she opened the two floor fitness suite at Brentwood School Sports Centre.
Samantha was already familiar with the area after spending some time training at the sports centre in the run up to the Games.
The front wall of the gym includes her quote: “If you have a goal, anything you want to achieve in life, don’t let anybody get in your way, you can do it.”
You may also want to watch:
Samantha, who cut the ribbon in the new gym to mark its opening, said: “I am so proud to open the new gym at Brentwood School Sports Centre. And I’m amazed and honoured to see my quote on the wall amongst sporting heroes such as Muhammad Ali; it has really made my day!”
She said about her medal, “It’s the proudest thing I own. Coming to places like Brentwood and meeting people and showing them my medal, it’s showing them that I’m a girl but I worked really hard, that I knew what I wanted and got it in the end. Anything you want, go and get it, it’s there for you to achieve.”
- 1 Teen hospitalised after being stabbed in Upminster
- 2 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 3 Romford school prepped for another 100 years as major renovation works end
- 4 Public detain male in street after alleged bid to rob Rainham shop
- 5 Broken bus stop in Upminster to be repaired within 'few weeks'
- 6 Royal Mail apologises for Covid-related delays as pensioner reports no deliveries 'for weeks'
- 7 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 8 Woman who struggled to walk with 'excruciating pain’ to run London Marathon
- 9 Hospitality Hero: 'Biggest prize is appreciation,' says tearoom owner
- 10 Hornchurch Covid woodland memorial gets residents' backing, survey says
Paul Morgan, sports centre manager, said: “Meeting Samantha was a fantastic experience, we are so proud that she opened our new development at the sports centre and she has really inspired our members.
“This redevelopment is really moving the sports centre forward and highlights the outstanding sports facilities that we have on offer to the public.”