OFF, OFF, OFF
Local sport suffers white out
Freezing temperatures and heavy snowfall have led to the cancellation of all major local sporting events this weekend.
After morning pitch inspections, Hornchurch’s Ryman Premier Division clash at Sutton and Romford’s Division One North encounter at Enfield Town were both postponed.
Rugby matches involving Romford & Gidea Park, Upminster, Campion and Old Cooperians also fell victim to the latest cold snap and a handful of rearranged hockey fixtures involving Havering and Upminster suffered a similar fate.
Romford Raiders were forced to call off their home English National League Division One meeting with Cardiff, who were unable to travel from south Wales, and will not themselves be travelling to Invicta today.
New dates will be announced for those fixtures will be announced as soon as possible by Raiders management.
Romford Fury’s home meeting with Peterborough in Division Two today has also been called off.
- 1 ‘Great response’ in Romford at its inaugural World Naked Bike Ride event
- 2 'What about vulnerable people?’: Couple protest parking ticket from Gallows Corner Tesco after alleged ‘double dipping’ issue
- 3 Romford man charged after Essex Police investigation into sale of drugs in Chelmsford
- 4 Upminster fire: 80 firefighters tackle grassland blaze as warm weather continues
- 5 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 6 Four care providers in Havering rated overall 'outstanding' by CQC
- 7 Havering Council’s cabinet: Who are they and what are their backgrounds?
- 8 Get your fill of tacos, burritos and more as Taco Bell announces opening date for new Hornchurch restaurant
- 9 'Totally gutted’: Hornchurch nightclub owner vows to appeal after opening hours extension refused
- 10 Motorcyclist dies after collision with car on Shepherds Hill
Another indoor sport, basketball, could not avoid the troubles either, with London Leopards forced to cancel their meeting with Brixton.
Hornchurch and Romford are both scheduled to play on Tuesday night, but their matches at Concord and Dulwich will be in serious doubt as temperatures remain below zero.