O’Brien winning battle for West Ham contract
Hammers trialist Joey o’Brien is proving his fitness and his talent during his time at West Ham.
Former Bolton Wanderers star Joey O’Brien will find out next week if he has done enough to earn a deal at West Ham.
The 25-year-old filled in at right-back and centre-half during Saturday’s 0-0 draw at Wycombe and it is that versatility that may well earn him a deal.
Allardyce has certainly been impressed. “He has done exceptionally well,” said the manager.
“He hasn’t really played for two and a half years because of injury, so to come here and try and win a contract is excellent. From my point of view on the way he is performing, I would certainly like him.”
You may also want to watch:
Midfielder O’Brien played the first half of Tuesday night’s friendly clash at Dagenham & Redbridge, while he will also feature against Real Zaragoza at Upton Park on Saturday.
O’Brien played under Allardyce in his Bolton days and the manager knows just how much potential he has.
- 1 Consultations open on rolling out school streets to 12 new sites
- 2 Future of bus route hangs in the balance as consultation ends
- 3 Man charged with multiple child exploitation offences to stand trial
- 4 Coffee shop apologises for 'mis-post' offering kitten as Christmas prize
- 5 Plane crash in Upminster sees man taken to hospital as a priority
- 6 Harold Hill 18-year-old given suspended sentence for ATM robberies
- 7 Christmas lights switch-on to return in Romford
- 8 BHRUT 'determined to learn' after inquest finds failures in pensioner's care before her death
- 9 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 10 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
“He was one of the brightest prospects in the Premier League when he first came into the Bolton team and hopefully he can get back to that sort of form.”