O’Brien winning battle for West Ham contract
Hammers trialist Joey o’Brien is proving his fitness and his talent during his time at West Ham.
Former Bolton Wanderers star Joey O’Brien will find out next week if he has done enough to earn a deal at West Ham.
The 25-year-old filled in at right-back and centre-half during Saturday’s 0-0 draw at Wycombe and it is that versatility that may well earn him a deal.
Allardyce has certainly been impressed. “He has done exceptionally well,” said the manager.
“He hasn’t really played for two and a half years because of injury, so to come here and try and win a contract is excellent. From my point of view on the way he is performing, I would certainly like him.”
You may also want to watch:
Midfielder O’Brien played the first half of Tuesday night’s friendly clash at Dagenham & Redbridge, while he will also feature against Real Zaragoza at Upton Park on Saturday.
O’Brien played under Allardyce in his Bolton days and the manager knows just how much potential he has.
- 1 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 2 Case for release of Gallows Corner upgrade funds is in pipeline, TfL says
- 3 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 4 120-home development on Harold Hill college site approved
- 5 Four-car crash in Havering-atte-Bower reignites calls for 20mph speed limit
- 6 Thunderstorms and possible flooding forecast for east London
- 7 Secondary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 'Second of its kind' interactive Oceanarium room to open in Romford
- 9 10-storey block expansion of 700-home development in Rainham gets go-ahead
- 10 Havering residents warned of weed which can cause ‘severe blistering’
“He was one of the brightest prospects in the Premier League when he first came into the Bolton team and hopefully he can get back to that sort of form.”