O’Brien winning battle for West Ham contract
Hammers trialist Joey o’Brien is proving his fitness and his talent during his time at West Ham.
Former Bolton Wanderers star Joey O’Brien will find out next week if he has done enough to earn a deal at West Ham.
The 25-year-old filled in at right-back and centre-half during Saturday’s 0-0 draw at Wycombe and it is that versatility that may well earn him a deal.
Allardyce has certainly been impressed. “He has done exceptionally well,” said the manager.
“He hasn’t really played for two and a half years because of injury, so to come here and try and win a contract is excellent. From my point of view on the way he is performing, I would certainly like him.”
You may also want to watch:
Midfielder O’Brien played the first half of Tuesday night’s friendly clash at Dagenham & Redbridge, while he will also feature against Real Zaragoza at Upton Park on Saturday.
O’Brien played under Allardyce in his Bolton days and the manager knows just how much potential he has.
- 1 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
- 2 Serial child sex offender jailed after found with 14,000 indecent images
- 3 Family of Harvey Tyrrell campaigning for stricter pub safety laws
- 4 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 5 Man jailed for drug offences and violent assaults in Romford flat
- 6 Arrests made after multiple stabbing in Havering
- 7 Memorial bench at hospital honours 'well-loved' medic
- 8 Petition launched by family of Harvey Tyrrell soars to 40,000 signatures
- 9 CCTV cameras to enforce new lorry ban through Rainham village
- 10 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
“He was one of the brightest prospects in the Premier League when he first came into the Bolton team and hopefully he can get back to that sort of form.”