Nostalgia: Havering in history on August 23, 1953, 1973 and 1993

PUBLISHED: 09:45 23 August 2013 | UPDATED: 14:45 03 September 2013

The Recorder, August 28, 1953

The Recorder, August 28, 1953


This week in history - 60, 40 and 20 years ago

Romford and Hornchurch Recorder, August 17, 1973Romford and Hornchurch Recorder, August 17, 1973

Sixty years ago 1953

Four children were forced to spend a week sleeping in an open passageway despite their mothers appeals to the council for help.

Romford Juvenile Court heard the family, of Hubert Road, South Hornchurch, had been evicted for owing Hornchurch Council 10 in rent arrears.

The NSPCC had brought the youngsters - aged 12, seven, five and three - before the court because they were in need of care and protection.

Romford Recorder, August 20, 1993Romford Recorder, August 20, 1993

Eventually, Essex County Council did step in - but not before the family had been taken in by officers at Rainham Police Station, where they were given blankets by the officers wives and passed onto the NSPCC.

It was now costing the council 27 10s 8d a week to keep them in a home.


A Harold Hill man alleged to have escaped from both Wandsworth and Brixton Prisons was fined 10 for stealing a bicycle saddle.

Despite his amazing and appalling record and 10 previous convictions, the man a watchman for Messrs W and C French, Ltd was allowed to walk free from court after being told the bench was prepared to try a different medicine.

The Woodbridge Lane resident was told: Pull yourself together or you will go on to earn a long sentence.

No further information was given about the alleged prison escapes.


Police revealed large numbers of bicycles were being stolen from Harold Wood Station, and urged cyclists to keep the bikes securely locked.

It was the first of two police warnings on the Recorder front page. The other was a word of caution to parents to tell their children to disregard strange men who might try to make conversation to them while playing in Romford parks.


Forty years ago 1973

An unfortunate 23-year-old man, who spent three and a half years in hospital after a car accident that paralysed him from the waist down, was hit by a second tragedy.

Courageous Christopher Thorne, 23, of Bower Close, Chase Cross, had been home for the first time in six months, and was due to start a new life working at a centre for disabled people in Surrey.

But while on his way back to hospital for his final two days of treatment, Christophers adapted car went out of control and overturned. The incident left him hospitalised once more, this time suffering a fractured thigh and shock.


A mechanic at a Romford garage who stole a cassette tape from a car was fined 20.

At Havering Court, the 17-year-old of Osborne Road, Hornchurch pleaded guilty to taking the 2.50 tape from a Reliant he had been working on.

The teenager, who was permitted to keep his job, said he was ashamed of his actions.


The forlorn owners of 23 missing homing budgies believed someone had enticed their birds away.

Lydia and William Crossland, of Bedford Gardens, were left with nothing but an empty aviary.

At first the couple began losing the birds in ones and twos but then the remainder started coming back later than usual and refusing to eat, as though someone else had already fed them.

Now the last five had failed to return home at all.

The birds are all beautiful colours and everyone loved watching them fly around during the day, said Lydia. The neighbours are as disappointed as I am.


Twenty years ago 1993

Mindless vandals slashed the tyres of 25 cars in Rainham.

Some of the cars, belonging to people in Trafalgar Road, Nelson Road, Blacksmith Lane, Harlow Road and Fyfield Road, had one or two tyres let down, but others had all four wrecked.

With a good pair of tyres costing 80, police who were appealing for information said the repair bill could run into the thousands.

Pc Rosemary Hunt, investigating the crime, described it as pure destruction and said the people responsible had achieved absolutely nothing but whatever weird satisfaction they can gain.


A 75-year-old Harold Hill man who had been missing for a month was found dead in an Epping field.

John McHughs family said the sad find had ended a period of heartbreaking uncertainty.

Keen walker Mr McHugh told his wife Eileen, 66, he was leaving his Chudleigh Road house to buy some cigarettes before disappearing.

He was last seen near The Bear pub in Noak Hill and it was thought he may have caught the wrong bus before trying to walk home.

Mr McHughs death wasnt considered suspicious.


Heartless cat owners had filled Haverings catteries.

Hornchurch feline rescuer Eileen Lewis said the problem happened every summer, with holidaymakers leaving their pets in shelters and then forgetting to collect them, or simply hoping the cats would take care of themselves.

Most of the strays were older animals, which cat shelters found it harder to rehouse.

Mrs Lewis said she had 15 such cats, while local RSPCA rescue coordinators John and Yvonne Brock had 28.

They were appealing for anyone who could offer a cat a home, pointing out older cats were usually less trouble than kittens.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder