No Smoking Day: Body-builder Mia Warwick did not let cigs win the fight
- Credit: Archant
From serious smoker to kick-ass body-builder; Mia Warwick, who grew up in Havering, is living proof of a life turned around.
After nearly 20 years of puffing, Mia decided enough was enough. Her reason? She wanted a baby.
Here the 43-year-old mum of Evan, six, and Jasmine, four, tells us how she did it:
“I gave up January 24 2006 and have not had a single puff since.
“I had tried the patches, gum, group therapy, inhalers. Nothing helped.
You may also want to watch:
“I was told about the book Alan Carr’s The Easy Way to quit smoking.
“I was hoping to have children before I got too old and did not want to try and give up when pregnant.
- 1 Plane crash in Upminster sees man taken to hospital as a priority
- 2 Road and rail: Disruptions to watch out for in Havering next week
- 3 Man 'wraps metal chain around woman's neck' in Hornchurch park attack
- 4 West Ham free to build new training facility as council approves plans
- 5 Romford celebrity scandals: Stars who hit headlines for the wrong reasons
- 6 ‘It is our moral obligation’: Upminster school launches mental health team
- 7 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 8 Kem Cetinay’s Array restaurant to host Halloween 'ball'
- 9 Man charged with attempted bank robbery in Romford to appear in court
- 10 Development coming to Havering: What plans were submitted, approved or rejected in recent months?
“I started reading the book and three-quarters through I decided to have a go.
“After a few days I realised I wasnt going to kill anyone. When I craved a fag at work, I ran down four flights of stairs to the basement car park where smokers went, I then hung around and then ran up the stairs again. This gave me an adrenaline buzz and the craving went away.
“The first two weeks were about breaking habits.
“Once in a blue moon I would have a dream I was smoking. Now it seems like a dream that I ever smoked.
“I fell pregnant around March 10 2006. I was healthy for my baby. It was the best decision of my life to give up.
“Now I’m training for a body building competition in April. Giving up helped me become so much fitter.”