Ninety Havering residents apply to hold street parties over Bank Holiday
Diamond Jubilee street party applications have been been flooding into Havering Council.
Ninety residents have applied to party on the Bank Holiday of June 2 -5.
Residents had until Tuesday to apply to hold the community events.
Among the applicants is Lisa Gunther, from Upminster, who is hoping to recreate the same atmosphere as her Royal Wedding party last year.
She said: “I am absolutely delighted that we have been given another chance to have a street party.
You may also want to watch:
“We were looking for another opportunity where we would get the chance to get the whole street together and this is just the perfect opportunity.”
The event is set to include a bouncy castle, a cake competition and a range of other activities and games.
- 1 Gallows Corner Tesco development proposal refused
- 2 Best places to have a curry in Havering as chosen by readers
- 3 Collier Row shooting: Police release CCTV in bid to trace man
- 4 Havering's Hospitality Heroes revealed: Which venues are crowned winners?
- 5 Daniel Laskos death: Court hearing for murder accused teens
- 6 'Heads should roll': Drug dealers left on Romford streets for eight months
- 7 Charity opens development to help homeless into independent living
- 8 Sentencing of Harold Hill ATM robber is postponed
- 9 National Hospitality Day: Locals stuck by cafe through 'thick and thin'
- 10 Covid cases drop at Queen’s and King George hospitals
Lisa, who is organising the day with a team of 10 committee members, has also applied for her road to be closed from 10am to 8pm.
She said: “I have had neighbours knocking on my door asking about the street party and it is a good ice breaker.
“People wouldn’t normally go up to their neighbours and say hello to them but now they have the perfect excuse to have a chat and be more sociable.”
Last year’s party saw 300 people coming together to mark the day and to get to know each other.
Lisa said she was overwhelmed by the turnout.
Are you holding a street party to celebrate Diamond Jubilee?
If so the Recorder would love to hear from you, contact the Recorder newdesk on 0208 477 3988