New Brentwood retirement village plans are refused
Plans for a new retirement village in Brentwood have been thrown out despite being recommended for approval.
The proposals for the demolition of the existing buildings in Ingrave Road and the construction of 51 flats for the elderly were discussed at a Brentwood Council planning committee at the town hall last week.
They were recommended to go ahead by planning officers after developers scaled down their plans from 61 apartments in 2010, which were previously refused because of concerns over the size of the development.
The site, which has been derelict since 2008, includes two derelict houses, a former car sales room and workshops. Developers wanted to replace them with 22 one bedroom flats; 29 two bedroom flats, a guest suite, communal day rooms and a warden’s station. It would also have included a basement with 39 car parking spaces and 13 mobility scooter spaces.
But the committee refused the most recent application stating that the scale, bulk and mass would be detrimental to visual amenity and character and appearance of the area.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Julie Morrissey, who was on the planning committee, said: “The Shenfield Common area is a very special part of my ward. After listening to the views of local residents I was convinced that this application was not acceptable.
“We want to see the site developed but not at any cost and I was delighted to get support for refusal. We hope the developers come back with a more sympathetic plan in the future”
- 1 'Important' ATMs removed from Romford shopping mall
- 2 Two in hospital after crash in Upminster involving 'stolen' van
- 3 Eight arrested on suspicion of murder following death of two teens
- 4 Upminster chef named best in the country with award
- 5 Cladding scandal: Homeowners ‘stuck’ as service charges rise
- 6 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 7 Woman dies after car crash near Upminster
- 8 Men questioned and 200 hours of CCTV seized after boys killed in Brentwood
- 9 Detectives appeal for witnesses to Upminster crash involving 'stolen' van
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?