Mystery of foul pong in Havering getting up residents’ noses
- Credit: Archant
A mysterious foul stench has been creeping across the borough, keeping people up at night.
Havering Council is searching for the cause of the strong “burning smell”, which has attracted much attention on social media in recent days.
The council is urging people who are affected to report it to help pinpoint the source.
People in Rise Park, Hornchurch, Harold Wood, Elm Park, Ardleigh Green and Romford have smelled the pong.
Lesley Bennett, 52, of Rise Park, said: “It’s absolutely terrible and this is the first time I’ve actually woken up to a smell. It smells like someone’s lit a bonfire outside your window.”
You may also want to watch:
She added: “I like to have my windows open sometimes but now I have no choice but to keep them shut – and the smell still remains in your house.”
As of Thursday morning, 19 people had contributed to a conversation about the stench on social media site, Streetlife.
- 1 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
- 2 Man jailed for drug offences and violent assaults in Romford flat
- 3 New rapid testing sites open in Romford and Upminster
- 4 Arrests made after multiple stabbing in Havering
- 5 One teenager dead in Harold Hill double stabbing
- 6 CCTV cameras to enforce new lorry ban through Rainham village
- 7 Family of Harvey Tyrrell campaigning for stricter pub safety laws
- 8 New venture for Hornchurch MasterChef hairdresser
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 May 17: What can't open when Covid-19 lockdown rules ease?
Edward P said it is so foul that “even the dog disliked it”.
Others have raised health concerns about the odour, which has been likened to thick cigarette smoke or a substantial fire.
Karen H wrote: “As an asthma sufferer I have to rush indoors & it makes your hair & clothes smell, it’s that bad.
“Thought it was just me being over-sensitive, but it helps to know there are others who notice it too.”
The council wants affected residents to email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit havering.gov.uk/Pages/ServiceChild/Environmental-services-Report-it.aspx and select “problems with smoke” to report the smell.