My Havering: Haven House CEO Mike Palfreman on his home borough
- Credit: Archant
Haven House Children’s Hospice CEO Mike Palfreman is taking part in a 100km walk to raise money for the charity. Sponsor him at www.justgiving.com/havenhouse2013. We asked what he liked about the borough he calls home.
What brought you to Havering?
I was born in Oldchurch Hospital in Romford and have lived in Hornchurch my whole life. My parents were teachers at Suttons School and North East London Polytechnic, having moved here from East Ham with their parents – as many did in the 1940s.
What do you like about living here?
It’s close to central London but still has plenty of green space and access to the countryside. We’ve also got a great theatre, and cinemas – and our football team (AFC Hornchurch) are worth watching.
You may also want to watch:
You have a day off and choose to spend it in Havering. What would you get up to?
I’m currently training for a 100km sponsored walk for Haven House. It costs £3,835 a day to run the hospice and a significant part of our funding comes from community fundraising. So, at the moment, I’m spending an increasing amount of time walking the streets of Havering.
- 1 West Ham free to build new training facility as council approves plans
- 2 Romford celebrity scandals: Stars who hit headlines for the wrong reasons
- 3 Development coming to Havering: What plans were submitted, approved or rejected in recent months?
- 4 Havering's MPs mourn fatal stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 Man charged with attempted bank robbery in Romford to appear in court
- 6 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
- 7 Women targeted in string of mobile phone thefts at Romford nightclub
- 8 Entry and exit wording on ground by Elm Park car park to be investigated
- 9 Mum fears gaping ceiling left by workers will 'collapse' on children
- 10 Romford's Jesy Nelson denies 'blackfishing' accusations
What do you like to watch on TV?
Dramas particularly appeal. Recently, I’ve enjoyed Broadchurch and The Good Wife.
Who is the most inspiring person you’ve ever met?
I’m fortunate to have met quite a few but have to mention the parents of the children we support at Haven House. We’re there to support them but seeing how they cope 24/7 keeps my feet firmly on the ground and makes me count my blessings.