Hornchurch and Upminster MP launches petition calling for step-free access at Upminster Station
- Credit: Archant
A Havering MP has launched a bid for funds to get accessible access to platform six of Upminster Station.
Upminster Station has step-free access to the platforms for C2C services and District Line services, however access to platform six for the London Overground Upminster-Romford line is only accessible via stairs.
Hornchurch and Upminster MP Julia Lopez, said: "The London Overground Upminster-Romford service acts as a vital link between C2C services between Upminster and Shoeburyness with the TfL Rail service that will soon become Crossrail, travelling through central London to Heathrow Airport.
"This would be especially valuable for those with cases who want to get to Heathrow on Crossrail or older people, parents with buggies and disabled people who want to go to work, shop or socialise in Romford.
"Unfortunately, we were not successful in our bid for Government Access for All funds to support the scheme however a further funding round has been announced with nominations closing in October."
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Bob Perry joined Lopez' first campaign in November last year.
He said the step-free access would be an "essential aid" for young mothers with prams and the elderly.
- 1 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 2 Havering road and rail delays to look out for next week
- 3 Sixth form denies knowledge of alleged A Level 'no confidence vote'
- 4 Best places to have a curry in Havering as chosen by readers
- 5 Gallows Corner Tesco development proposal refused
- 6 Collier Row shooting: Police release CCTV in bid to trace man
- 7 Signals at Hornchurch 'crash hotspot' now under review
- 8 'Heads should roll': Drug dealers left on Romford streets for eight months
- 9 Havering's Hospitality Heroes revealed: Which venues are crowned winners?
- 10 Sentencing of Harold Hill ATM robber is postponed
According to the MP, platform six is the only platform within the Upminster Station not to have step-free access and is also the only station on the service not to have step-free access.
"If we can demonstrate the support of local stakeholders and the community our bid stands a greater chance of success," said Ms Lopez, who is also the Secretary of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Disability.
"Last year, in a short period of time we were able to demonstrate the support of the station operator, C2C, Havering Council, local businesses and 478 constituents.
"We would be grateful if constituents who support our campaign could put their name to our petition, either via my website or by signing up when my team are out collecting signatures by the station in the coming weeks.
"We have had great support so far from local charities, schools and disability groups and thank all residents who have backed us.
"We have until October to get the bid together and will let everyone know how we get on."
Visit julialopez.co.uk/step-free-access-upminster-station to sign the petition.