Morris strikes to deny Daggers win at Northampton

Daggers' Rhys Murphy heads home Daggers second goal at Northampton Town. Pic: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO

Daggers' Rhys Murphy heads home Daggers second goal at Northampton Town. Pic: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO - Credit: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO

League Two: Northampton Town 2 Dagenham & Redbridge 2

Daggers had to settle for a point on the road at Northampton as Ian Morris’ second half strike for the hosts ensured a share of the spoils.

Loanee Luke Norris put the Cobblers in front but the Daggers scored twice inside three minutes through Zavon Hines and Rhys Murphy to take the lead going into the break.

But skipper Morris’ drilled effort from just outside the box ensured honours were even, as Daggers picked up their first point ever against the Cobblers.

Daggers boss Wayne Burnett reshuffled the pack after last week’s 2-1 home defeat to Cheltenham Town with no less than four changes as Chris Lewington, Femi Ilesanmi, Medy Elito and Chris Dickson all came in as they opted to go with a 4-4-2 formation.

But for the second week in succession the Daggers were on the back foot from the off as Gary Deegan volleyed wide after just two minutes.

Darren Carter forced Lewington into a good stop low down to his right four minutes later and Stuart Dallas fired over as the Cobblers continued to dominate.

Most Read

Mathias Kou-Doumbe headed over at the back post as the Daggers failed to deal with a Chris Hackett corner before the visitors registered their first effort on target with 20 minutes on the clock

And it was one where they should have done better from as Elito’s throughball found Chris Dickson bearing down on goal but Matt Duke pushed his effort behind.

But the respite was brief as Chris Hackett’s 27th minute free-kick beat Lewington but struck the post.

And from the resulting corner the Cobblers went in front as an inswinging delivery found its way through to Norris who poked home from close range.

It was a lead they deserved but out of nothing the Daggers were level 12 minutes later.

Zavon Hines was allowed too much time and space on the ball before curling a fine effort into the corner past Duke.

But parity almost didn’t last long as the Cobblers went straight on the attack and only a fine reaction save from Lewington kept out Dallas’ effort from inside the six-yard box.

And just three minutes later Rhys Murphy but the Daggers in front when he was unmarked at the back post to prod home.

It was an even start to the second period and Chris Dickson nearly extended the visitors lead when a nice turn and shot fell inches wide of Duke’s goal.

But the hosts levelled on 61 minutes when Dickson conceded a free-kick by the touchline, something which Burnett was unhappy with.

And the ball worked its way through to an unmarked Morris on the edge of the area and the home skipper drilled an effort low across goal past Lewington into the bottom corner.

Both sides went pushing for a winner, and the hosts came close when a fine ball in from Dallas was missed by Lewington but Hackett could only head into the side netting.

But that was the closest either side came in the closing stages as they had to settle for a share of the spoils.

Dagenham & Redbridge: Lewington, Ilesanmi, Wilkinson, Saah, Doe, Elito (Obafemi 88), Ogogo, Howell, Murphy, Dickson (Bingham 75), Hines.

Unused substitutes: Scott, Saunders, Dennis, Connors, Seabright.

Northampton Town: Duke, Amankwaah, Carter, Collins, Morris, Hackett, Deegan (Demontagnac 71), Reid, Kouo-Doumbe, Dallas, Norris.

Unused substitutes: Tozer, Emerton, McNamara, Toney, Harriott.

Attendance 4,046 (180 Daggers fans)

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter