Model Twiggy backs appeal to find greyhounds loving homes
A TOP model is appealing to people in Havering to give a loving home to a greyhound.
Twiggy has given her support to the Retired Greyhound Trust, which is desperately seeking homes in the area for dogs which have retired from their careers at the Romford Greyhound Stadium.
The Greyhound Homer kennels in Ockendon, where canines from the Romford track are taken, currently needs owners for more than 20 dogs.
Seventies icon Twiggy said: “I am devastated to hear about the Retired Greyhound Trust’s struggle with homing figures. I would urge anyone who is considering a dog to think greyhounds.
“The sooner the charity can find good homes for those in kennels then the sooner they can free up space for the many more who are on the waiting list.
You may also want to watch:
“Greyhounds make fantastic pets. They undergo a transformation when they leave the track. They turn from speed machines to docile couch potatoes who love to loll around and get fussed. All they want is a loving family or owner to look after them.
“I hope there are families out there who can help.”
- 1 Teen hospitalised after being stabbed in Upminster
- 2 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 3 Romford school prepped for another 100 years as major renovation works end
- 4 Public detain male in street after alleged bid to rob Rainham shop
- 5 Broken bus stop in Upminster to be repaired within 'few weeks'
- 6 Royal Mail apologises for Covid-related delays as pensioner reports no deliveries 'for weeks'
- 7 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 8 Woman who struggled to walk with 'excruciating pain’ to run London Marathon
- 9 Hospitality Hero: 'Biggest prize is appreciation,' says tearoom owner
- 10 Signals at Hornchurch 'crash hotspot' now under review
Although last year the trust saw 4,200 dogs adopted, it still found around 500 fewer homes for canines than in 2009.
Ivor Stocker from the trust said: “The homing figures for 2010 are really disappointing for our hard working volunteers and bad news for our greyhounds.
“Greyhounds have very individual personalities and our volunteers have years of experience homing them. They can match the right dog to the right individual or family to ensure everyone lives happily ever after.”
For more information on adopting a greyhound call 0844 826 8424 or visit www.retiredgreyhounds.co.uk.