McGleish uses his head as Orient keep on cup trail
Slade’s side force a replay and avoid a cup shock
Droylsden 1 Leyton Orient 1
VETERAN striker Scott McGleish helped spare Orient’s blushes as he grabbed a 73rd-minute leveller to set up a replay with the Blue Square Bet North side at Brisbane Road next Tuesday.
In first round Russell Slade’s side needed a second game to overcome neighbours Dagenham & Redbridge after a draw at Victoria Road.
Now, the O’s will have to follow a similar route if they want to book a third round trip to Norwich early in the New Year.
You may also want to watch:
A freezing night at the Butcher’s Arms Ground, had all the hallmarks of an FA Cup shock, especially when Ciaran Kilheeney gave the non-league side a deserved lead on 24 minutes, when he headed home Liam Brownhill’s free-kick.
But Slade’s side are made of sterner stuff these days and with just one defeat in their last 10 games the visitors found their form in the second half and 17 minutes from time parity was restored.
- 1 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 2 Mum-of-two's long-term home 'nightmare' amid housing crisis
- 3 Jailed: Dagenham car burglar after 100mph pursuit in Romford
- 4 Met officers used 'excessive force' during Romford fight
- 5 Romford student receives Amazon bursary for women studying computer science
- 6 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 7 Sensory room in Harold Hill school gets new mural
- 8 Heritage: Is it Romford or Rumford? You decide
- 9 Woman 'repulsed and sick' after finding bug in Lidl yoghurt
- 10 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
Dean Cox caused problems down the right and his cross found McGeish at the far post and the striker sent a header from a tight angle cannoning off the post and into the net via home keeper Paul Phillips.
Orient: J Brown, Forbes, Chorley, A Brown, Daniels, Cox, Spring, Smith, Mpoku (Dawson 84 mins), Revell (Tehoue 57 mins), McGleish. Subs: Butcher, Cestor, Millwood, Benjamin, Tehoue, Walker.