McFarlane hails Hornchurch
‘Best performance of season’
Hornchurch manager Jimmy McFarlane said his side’s win at Bury was their “best performance of the season”.
Martin Tuohy netted twice, with Rickie Hayles also on target in a 3-1 success in Suffolk, giving a much-needed boost to Urchins Ryman Premier Division campaign.
McFarlane said: “We played Lewis [Smith] and Martin [Tuohy] together up front and they clicked. They were a handful all afternoon and look like a good pairing. Hopefully it’s the beginning of something for Martin. He’s definitely got the ability.
“We also controlled it in midfield and our back four looked big and strong. I think they were all over six-foot.”
You may also want to watch:
Dave Collis impressed on his debut, after signing from Billericay, and McFarlane is hoping his men can build on their success at Hastings tonight.
He added: “Collis controlled midfield all afternoon to be honest.
- 1 Best places to have a curry in Havering as chosen by readers
- 2 Gallows Corner Tesco development proposal refused
- 3 Collier Row shooting: Police release CCTV in bid to trace man
- 4 Havering's Hospitality Heroes revealed: Which venues are crowned winners?
- 5 'Heads should roll': Drug dealers left on Romford streets for eight months
- 6 Havering road and rail delays to look out for next week
- 7 Daniel Laskos death: Court hearing for murder accused teens
- 8 Covid cases drop at Queen’s and King George hospitals
- 9 National Hospitality Day: Locals stuck by cafe through 'thick and thin'
- 10 Sentencing of Harold Hill ATM robber is postponed
“He gives us that bit of shrewdness and intelligence. He’s a clever player.
“We’re quite a young side and have been a bit naive, but he gives us a bit of maturity, although he’s only 28 himself. He’s like the missing link.”
Victory lifted Urchins to 12th and they could climb into a play-off place with another success at mid-table rivals Hastings.
“If we perform how we did on Saturday, I think we’ll be alright,” said McFarlane.
“We’ve still got some key players out injured. Jamie Dormer will be out for a while yet and Jordan Collins is probably a week away.
“But Billy Coyne may be ok and Michael Spencer too.”