Romford McDonalds donates £4,000 to The Queen's Theatre in Hornchurch to help with improvements
PUBLISHED: 17:20 15 November 2018
McDonalds Romford has donated £4,000 to the Queen's Theatre in Hornchurch for improvements including a new rehearsal studio, bar and for new equipment.
The donation will go towards QNew, an exciting programme of building improvements which will allow Queen’s to make high quality theatre in developed spaces.
The theatre has been fundraising towards plans to innovate and renovate the iconic building for artists, participants and audiences alike, assisted by the introduction of a 65p QNew Transformation fee per ticket.
This came into effect on the Theatre’s 65th birthday in September and since then, generous customers have already helped raise more than £10,000 in just two months.
The Theatre was also recently awarded a grant of £350,000 by Arts Council England towards QNew.
The funds will contribute towards supporting a number of exciting projects throughout 2019. If all the £1 million required is raised, these will include:
• Equipping a new dedicated rehearsal facility on site for the first time in the Theatre’s history
• Dedicating a bespoke new space for the Theatre’s expanding range of learning and participatory work with the local community
• Creating a special room for local and regional artists to try out new ideas
• Building a new look ground floor Bar to complement the busy Café
• Making front of house and backstage much more accessible to D/deaf and disabled people
• Replacing outdated equipment so that it’s cheaper and safer to run
• Installing better air conditioning in the foyer so everyone can be comfortable all year round
• Ensuring the roof and exterior of the Theatre are weather proofed for the future
Havering McDonald’s franchisee Gerry Byrne said: “It’s great to be supporting such a major part of our community and the excellent work the theatre produces.
“The theatre has brilliant plans for the future of the building and we’re really pleased to be contributing towards this.”
Douglas Rintoul, artistic director at Queen’s Theatre said: “A massive thank you to McDonalds Romford for so generously supporting our exciting QNew project.
“By investing into the building, this support will ensure we keep producing the very best work we can, whilst encouraging members of our community to take part or see some of our superb productions.”