Market memories: Four more monkeys from Romford in the 1960s
- Credit: Archant
Here’s the latest bunch of monkey pictures received at the Recorder news desk.
You’ve been sending in old photographs of your cheeky companions ever since we ran a shot from Lynn Neary of Dagenham a fortnight ago.
Last week, we featured no fewer than eight of your pictures, taken by Romford Market’s resident photographer throughout the 1960s – and here we present four more of the best.
Sharon Fray, who sent us a festive image of her five-year-old self, her little brother and two monkeys from 1969, said: “I remember wanting to take the monkey home, and I also remember his very cold little hand.
“Today with animal rights and health and safety I don’t imagine photographs like this could happen. I would love to know what ever happened to the photographer.”
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, Hornchurch resident Shirley Watling, now 66, remembers seeing monkeys in a different part of the borough.
“In 1951 my aunts and I used to walk to a grocer’s shop on the hill in Upminster,” she remembered.
- 1 Gallows Corner Tesco development proposal refused
- 2 Best places to have a curry in Havering as chosen by readers
- 3 Collier Row shooting: Police release CCTV in bid to trace man
- 4 Havering's Hospitality Heroes revealed: Which venues are crowned winners?
- 5 'Heads should roll': Drug dealers left on Romford streets for eight months
- 6 Daniel Laskos death: Court hearing for murder accused teens
- 7 Sentencing of Harold Hill ATM robber is postponed
- 8 Charity opens development to help homeless into independent living
- 9 National Hospitality Day: Locals stuck by cafe through 'thick and thin'
- 10 Covid cases drop at Queen’s and King George hospitals
“We would hand in my Nan’s grocery list, which was later delivered.
“Before we all walked back, my young aunts would take me across the road to see live small monkeys in a cage alongside Upminster Bridge Station.
“Does anyone else remember the monkeys? Were they the monkeys from Romford Market?”
If you remember the Upminster Bridge monkeys, or have any other old memories to share, contact the news desk on 020 8477 3878 or e-mail email@example.com.