Mardyke Community Centre needs your help for Christmas
The Mardyke Community Centre is appealing for help to host its third annual Christmas dinner for senior citizens.
Organiser Jenette Ogbourn, 35, said the loss of funds over the past year from development work on the estate has reduced the support the centre can provide.
She added: “We are asking for all types of Christmas food, table cloths and raffle prizes for 60 people, as well as volunteers to help out on the day.”
Volunteers in the kitchen, helping to cook and prepare the food as well as a children’s choir contributed over the last two years, adding to the festive, generous nature of the event.
Last year, LUSH donated goodies and again this year the centre is asking for companies to donate gifts.
You may also want to watch:
The dinner is for elderly residents in the area who may be living alone or for those who simply wish to socialise with their peers.
Jenette said: “This is a really good day out. My 86-year-old nan doesn’t normally go out but goes along and although she spends Christmas with us, she enjoys meeting and greeting new people.”
- 1 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 2 Road and rail disruptions coming up over the coming week
- 3 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
- 4 'Disgraceful': Ex-estate agent sentenced for Chris Whitty assault
- 5 Lower Thames Crossing: How would Upminster be affected?
- 6 'Lovely service': Initial impressions of Kem Cetinay's restaurant Array
- 7 Daniel Laskos stabbing: Teens plead not guilty to murder
- 8 Chronically ill Romford man's fight for diagnosis after being told problem is psychological
- 9 Meet the Olympians from east London and Brentwood
- 10 'For my kids': Mother vows to keep fighting over council flat mould
She added that the two long tables were crammed full last year with the spaces all taken up.
To donate please contact Jenette on: 01708 521936 or 07903234517
Donations can be dropped off at the Mardyke Community Centre, in South Street, Rainham.
The event will take place on Friday December 7 between 11.30am and 4pm.