Man stabbed in Upminster meets his lifesaver to say ‘thank you’.

A STAB victim who “died twice” after receiving a puncture wound to the chest inches from his heart has thanked the couple who saved his life.

Wounded Geoff Harvey, 41, from Aveley, met lifesaver Keith Ambrose at the Huntsman and Hounds pub, in Upminster, this week to thank him for his actions when he found him lying in the street bleeding to death.

An emotional Mr Harvey said: “I just want to thank the couple for saving my life. If it wasn’t for them I wouldn’t be here today.”

Mr Harvey was found stabbed in the chest in Gaynes Park Road, Upminster, on Saturday October 2 around 7.45pm.

Mr Ambrose, 39, and his wife Claire, 33, who happened to be passing, rushed to his aid at the scene until paramedics arrived. Another woman at the scene put in the 999 call.

Mr Ambrose, a building surveyor from Little Dunmow, laid Mr Harvey on the floor, kept him talking and carried out chest compressions to keep his heart going once he lost consciousness.

Police and paramedics told him if it wasn’t for his efforts Mr Harvey might not have survived.

Most Read

Mr Harvey, who visited the pub with flowers and wine as a gesture of thanks, said: “It frightened the life out of me. I can’t thank them enough.”

Fighting back the tears he said: “I just want to say thank you.”

His memory of what actually happened that night was vague - which he put down to the trauma of dying twice.

Mr Harvey said: “I died once at the scene and got brought back to life and I died at hospital again and got brought back to life again.

“They said the knife actually nicked my heart.”

Recalling the little memory he did have he said: “I’d come off the A127 and was trying to get home towards Aveley. I stopped at the Londis shop on the way.

“Someone just randomly stuck a knife in me.

“I just remember being stabbed and then waking up in hospital.”

Mr Harvey said after being stabbed outside the shop in Corbets Tey Road he got back in his car and drove further down the road. He was found next to it with the engine still running.

“I thought I’d driven about a mile away from the scene but I’d only got a couple of hundred yards,” he said.

Mr Harvey had to endure heart surgery and remain in hospital for over a week. He is now home but still recovering with care and support from his partner of three years, Tracey Bowers.

Not only does he have a 12inch scar from the wound but he is haunted by memories of the attack.

He said: “I’m in agony. I can’t sleep at night for the nightmares. I’m on tons of painkillers.

“It’s been really hard. I can’t do much without getting out of breath.

“I’m usually a really active person but my life has got to stop for a while now.”

The lorry driver for a Rainham-based firm has been told to expect to be off work for up to four months.

In a plea to the public to come forward with information Mr Harvey said: “Just please come forward and contact the police. This person doesn’t deserve to be on the streets. He might do this to someone else.”

One man has been arrested in relation to the incident and has been released on police bail until December.

Witnesses or anyone with information should contact the Violent Crime Unit in Romford on 01708 779137 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.