Man rescued after fire in Hornchurch restaurant
A man was rescued after a fire broke out in the kitchen of a Turkish restaurant in Hornchurch yesterday.
Hornchurch firefighters were called to the fire in Turkish Mangal, in the High Street, at 11am.
The fire is expected to have started in the kitchen area from the charcoal grill and travelled through the back of the building. Fire Fighters were at the scene for three hours while they contained it.
A witness who was shopping nearby said the fire fighters came to the rescue of a man who looked distressed upstairs.
Trudy Costello said: “A man appeared at an upstairs window, trying in vain to open the window and was clearly in distress.
You may also want to watch:
“The fire brigade were able to free him however, and he shortly appeared on the pavement outside.
“He was given oxygen by the fire officers and was clearly very grateful to them.”
- 1 Public detain male in street after alleged bid to rob Rainham shop
- 2 Romford school prepped for another 100 years as major renovation works end
- 3 Trust celebrating Hornchurch history opens new permanent heritage centre
- 4 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 5 Hospitality Hero: 'Biggest prize is appreciation,' says tearoom owner
- 6 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 7 Report found Town Hall response to alleged sexual harassment case 'disturbing'
- 8 Demolition 'will now begin' to make way for 120 homes at former campus
- 9 Hornchurch man to face trial accused of teeth whitening offence
- 10 Rainham flat ravaged by late night blaze
She added that the prompt arrival of the fire brigade “averted a much worse scenario.”
Watch manager Jason Frisby said: “The kitchen was already alight when we arrived in the extractor fan. That was damaged and there was damage to the kitchen. There was a man in the solicitors’ office above who had suffered from smoke inhalation who was treated at the scene by paramedics from the London Ambulance Service.”
About 20 fire fighters from staions in Hornchurch, Romford and Dagenham attended. The restaurant will remain closed while the damage is cleaned up.