Man in his 90s died in Brentwood house fire

A man in his 90s died in a house fire in Brentwood yesterday (Sunday).

The fire was in Snakes Hill, in Navestock Side at about 12.30pm and firefighters believe the cause of the fire was a gas leak.

A joint police and fire service investigation has been launched since the blaze to establish the circumstances of the fire.

An Essex Police spokesman said: “Police were contacted by the ambulance service following reports of a blaze on Snakes Hill, Navestock Side.

“Officers investigated and found the body of a man in his 90s. The fire is being treated as unexplained while the joint investigations take place.”


You may also want to watch:


An Essex County Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “Crews at the scene reported that the whole of the ground floor was well alight and the whole of the two-storey building smoke logged.”

The fire was under control just after 1pm and the spokesman added at the time: “Firefighters have discovered a gas leak and at 1.45pm reported that the leak was under control and the property was being ventilated.” The gas board was in attendance.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter