Man in his 90s died in Brentwood house fire
A man in his 90s died in a house fire in Brentwood yesterday (Sunday).
The fire was in Snakes Hill, in Navestock Side at about 12.30pm and firefighters believe the cause of the fire was a gas leak.
A joint police and fire service investigation has been launched since the blaze to establish the circumstances of the fire.
An Essex Police spokesman said: “Police were contacted by the ambulance service following reports of a blaze on Snakes Hill, Navestock Side.
“Officers investigated and found the body of a man in his 90s. The fire is being treated as unexplained while the joint investigations take place.”
You may also want to watch:
An Essex County Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “Crews at the scene reported that the whole of the ground floor was well alight and the whole of the two-storey building smoke logged.”
The fire was under control just after 1pm and the spokesman added at the time: “Firefighters have discovered a gas leak and at 1.45pm reported that the leak was under control and the property was being ventilated.” The gas board was in attendance.
- 1 Reward offered to help find iconic Noak Hill Laurel and Hardy statues
- 2 Pooches delight as new dog-friendly playground opens at Collier Row pub
- 3 Housing in Havering: Major developments set to come to the borough
- 4 Two men stabbed after fight reported outside Romford nightclub
- 5 Police investigating 'unexplained' death in Collier Row
- 6 Plan agreed to tackle persistent flooding in Abbs Cross Lane
- 7 Apology issued after council error sees pupils' fee multiplied by 100
- 8 Gidea Park events planner hopes to host summer community festival
- 9 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 10 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford