Man held in clampdown on illegal drivers
A man was arrested for dangerous driving, theft of a motor vehicle and drink-driving after a pursuit by police.
Three other people were also arrested and charged with drink-driving in the operation to clamp down on illegal drivers on Friday, October 26.
Sgt Neal Donohoe, of Romford Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT), said: “There is a clear message here that we will not tolerate drinking and drug-driving on the roads of London. The message is simple – think twice, make a decision not to drink and drive as you will get stopped by the police.”
A total of 50 vehicles were stopped as part of the operation between Romford Town Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT) and the Metropolitan Police North East Traffic division.
Officers patrolled Romford in cars equipped with automatic number plate recognition devices.
You may also want to watch:
Sgt Donohoe said: “Operations like this one will see officers from the Roads Policing Unit, as well as local police officers, stepping up checks and stopping vehicles in the run-up to the Christmas period.
“Operations will be planned and both covert and overt tactics will be used. I would much prefer to deal with these individuals rather than attend a family home to inform relatives their son or daughter have been severely injured or worse.”
- 1 Romford’s M&S staff go viral with Thriller dance TikTok video
- 2 How Romford are you? Test yourself with our quiz
- 3 New social housing allocation system for Havering approved
- 4 Brentwood attack: CCTV appeal after man repeatedly kicked in head
- 5 'I don't feel safe': Mother who uses wheelchair calls for suitable home
- 6 Sewage floods home of family with one-day-old newborn after heavy rain
- 7 Fire and highwaymen: The history of Hornchurch's old archway
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Man 'wraps metal chain around woman's neck' in Hornchurch park attack
- 10 Drains in area repeatedly flooded to be next inspected during bad weather