Man arrested on suspicion of causing Harold Hill fire
- Credit: Archant
A man has been arrested on suspicion of arson in connection with a fire at Andromeda Court, Harold Hill.
The blaze engulfed the top floor of the block of flats in Myrtle Road, on Saturday, June 4.
A 24-year-old man, arrested on the same day as the fire, has been detained under the Mental Health Act and is bailed to return later this month.
Brian Gregory, 65, has been living in a Travelodge since the fire destroyed his home more than two months ago.
He said: “We lost everything in the fire. I have been offered another flat by the council and its totally substandard.”
You may also want to watch:
Eight fire crews, some from as far away as Holloway, were called to tackle the blaze which took two hours for 58 firefighters to bring under control.
The council has found new alternative one-bedroom properties for those who lost their homes.
- 1 Firefighters fight car alight in Romford
- 2 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 3 From 100 steps to 10,000: Romford woman tackles serious health issues by losing third of body weight
- 4 Romford neighbours' outrage over ‘bonkers’ £20,000 council bill
- 5 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 6 'We had no idea how big he was': 11lb 4oz baby born at Romford hospital
- 7 BID installs wall of evergreen plants to ‘welcome people’ to Romford
- 8 Love Island star Kem Cetinay says Romford's Array to open 'in three weeks'
- 9 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 10 'Stay strong': West Ham footballers send messages to fan with cancer
Cabinet member for housing, Cllr Damian White said: “We’re very sorry we have not been able to permanently rehouse these five tenants sooner.
“There is very great pressure on the limited housing stock available and we have moved as fast as possible.”
In a stroke of bad luck, Mr Gregory had come to the end of his contents only insurance policy and was exploring different policies when the fire broke out.
He is hoping the council provide some financial assistance to replace belongings.
There were no injuries reported in the incident and officers from Havering CID continue to investigate.