Lorry crashes into Upminster florist shop
- Credit: Archant
A lorry has crashed into a florist shop in Upminster Bridge, bringing down the whole store front and leading to the evacuation of nearby buildings.
Luckily it is closed today, but a worker in Londis, which is next to it, described what happened to the Recorder.
“It just went into the florists,” said Meera Patel, 21. “There was a very big bang, it didn’t shake but the whole thing just came down.
“The police and fire brigade are here trying to get the truck out.”
The crash happened at about 3.40pm, and has caused travel disruption in the area, though nobody is believed to be hurt.
A London Fire Brigade spokesman said: “Nobody was involved but we are evacuating surrounding premises and shoring up shop fronts and working with surveyors to prevent possiblilty of collapse.”
Train operators c2c have tweeted: “Due to a Vehicle striking a bridge in the Upminster area, trains will be running through the area at a reduced speed until further notice.”
- 1 'Feels like family': Romford school delights in Ofsted outcome
- 2 Homes under the Planner: Applications submitted or approved in Havering
- 3 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 4 Up to 21m, 35,000sqm redevelopment of Rainham industrial site given green light
- 5 Two 'child abduction' arrests after three-year-old girl reported missing
- 6 Rainham and Dagenham MP calls for delay to ULEZ expansion
- 7 Police investigate reports of disabled students' 'unexplained' injuries at college
- 8 Man murdered two armed teenage boys who had been chasing him, court told
- 9 Collier Row pub applies to 'enhance outdoor seating experience'
- 10 Pride 2022: Havering Council to attend central London event for first time
Onlookers have taken to twitter to comment on the crash. User @carl_ginn said: “Madness at upminster bridge!!”
Another, @Chibilink101, said: “Omg has anyone seen what’s happened in upminster?”
Did you see the crash? Contact Sam Gelder on 020 8477 3810 or firstname.lastname@example.org.