London Elections: Half of ballot papers counted at ExCeL centre
Votes are being counted at a rapid pace at the ExCeL centre in east London as candidates wait to learn if they have won a seat in the Greater London Assembly.
Anxious politicians have been milling around with their campaign teams, staring at the big screens that have been erected to display battles in five constituencies.
Starting at 9.30am, the count is now well under way as a third to a half of the votes have been processed for most constituencies.
Unexpected early celebrations entered the ExCeL as the Labour campaign team arrived after John Pierce’s victory in the Tower Hamlets by-election.
Bucking a national trend, voter turnout was impressive in the East End as Labour took a majority of just under 300 in the Weavers seat.
You may also want to watch:
Havering & Redbridge is looking like the closest run contest at this stage with Conservative Roger Evans just edging Labour’s Mandy Richards.
Lambeth & Southwark’s Valerie Shawcross is way out in front for Labour while Len Duvall is doing in the same in Greenwich & Lewisham and John Biggs follows suit in City & East.
- 1 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 2 Four-car crash in Havering-atte-Bower reignites calls for 20mph speed limit
- 3 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 4 Secondary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 5 Severe flooding in Havering and Dagenham as "tornado" hits Barking
- 6 Romford drama students to feature alongside celebrities in new WW2 film
- 7 10-storey block expansion of 700-home development in Rainham gets go-ahead
- 8 Primary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 9 Get clued up on road and train disruptions coming to the area
- 10 Harold Wood protest against proposed Gallows Corner homes
The Conservatives are progressing well in Bexley & Bromley with James Cleverly striding ahead of Labour candidate Josie Channer.
The constituency has also progressed the furthest in the count with 51 per cent of votes verified so far.