London 2012: Olympic Flame to visit Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham, Havering and Bexley on London tour
The Olympic Flame will travel through four boroughs today on its tour across London, and will be carried by torchbearers including Lennox Lewis.
The Torch has already this morning been on the EDF Energy London Eye and is now in Redbridge, where it was lit at Redbridge Cycling Centre.
The first torchbearer of the day was Luke Benjafield, 20, from South Woodford, who was nominated for his dedication to the Air Training Corps 241 Squadron where he has inspired and motivated many cadets to succeed in their flight training.
A torchbearer will carry the Flame across Fairlop Lake in a sailing boat, before it is taken to Valentine’s Mansion - which The Queen visited earlier this year - and then to Redbridge Town Hall.
It will then go to Barking and Dagenham, where it will go on the miniature railway at Barking Park and to Mayesbrook Park Training Centre. Dance troupe Diversity will take it on stage at the Dagenham Town Show.
You may also want to watch:
In Havering the Torch will be taken on a lap around the Market Place and then to the Queen’s Theatre in Hornchurch, where the Flame will be carried by celebrated concert pianist Lang Lang.
Aaron Reynolds, 18, from Sidcup will carry the Flame across the River Thames in a London Fire Brigade Fireboat accompanied by a flotilla of smaller craft. He was named the Royal Yachting Association (RYA) Thames Valley Young Sailor of the Year Award in recognition his outstanding contribution to the sport of sailing.
- 1 Housing in Havering: Major developments set to come to the borough
- 2 Police investigating 'unexplained' death in Collier Row
- 3 Plan agreed to tackle persistent flooding in Abbs Cross Lane
- 4 Apology issued after council error sees pupils' fee multiplied by 100
- 5 Gidea Park events planner hopes to host summer community festival
- 6 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 7 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford
- 8 Reward offered to help find iconic Noak Hill Laurel and Hardy statues
- 9 Two men stabbed after fight reported outside Romford nightclub
- 10 Pooches delight as new dog-friendly playground opens at Collier Row pub
In Bexley the Flame will be taken to Hall Place and then to its final destination of Danson Park, where boxer Lennox Lewis will light the cauldron on stage at the evening celebration.