Video: MP Jon Cruddas visits Rainham college construction centre
- Credit: Archant
It’s not often you see politicians in a hard hat and overalls, but Labour’s Jon Cruddas bucked the trend on Friday.
The Dagenham and Rainham MP visited the construction centre at Havering College of Further and Higher Education to chat to students and do a spot of bricklaying.
Mr Cruddas launched the college’s new BSc construction management degree and spoke of the key role the centre will play in the region’s social and economic development over the next 25 years.
He said: “I had a brilliant day. What was really inspiring was talking to the young people about their plans for the future. The college is really breaking down barriers.
“You can start out with basic level one construction courses and progress right through to degrees in construction skills. We talked to young men and women who are doing just that – aiming for future careers in site management.
You may also want to watch:
“This campus sits at the centre of the Thames Gateway. We are now talking about new river crossings to make sure house building can really go ahead, so this is going to be the centre of gravity.
“I really like the way the college is aligned with local employers’ needs and trying to create that curriculum to make sure they can employ local people.”
- 1 Mum-of-two's long-term home 'nightmare' amid housing crisis
- 2 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 3 Jailed: Dagenham car burglar after 100mph pursuit in Romford
- 4 Met officers used 'excessive force' during Romford fight
- 5 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 6 Heritage: Is it Romford or Rumford? You decide
- 7 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 8 Woman 'repulsed and sick' after finding bug in Lidl yoghurt
- 9 Romford student receives Amazon bursary for women studying computer science
- 10 May 17: What can't open when Covid-19 lockdown rules ease?
Plans for further expansion to create a centre of excellence for construction, engineering and technology are also underway.
College principal Maria Thompson told the MP, Havering mayor, Cllr Linda Trew, Council leader, Cllr Roger Ramsey, and employers: “What we are doing here is building futures for this area of Havering and the Rainham area in particular.
“Having a construction centre, an engineering and technology centre on this site would be such a catalyst for change, for social mobility and prosperity in this area.”
For more information contact on Havering College’s construction courses from Level 1 through to HNC, HND and degree call the Admissions team on 01708 462801 or visit havering-college.ac.uk.