Upminster girl attends leaver’s prom after relearning to walk, talk and smile after brain injury
- Credit: Archant
A young girl who relearned to walk, talk and smile at a children’s charity while recovering from a brain injury has celebrated by attending her Year 6 leaver’s prom.
Annabel Smith arrived at The Children’s Trust in July last year and received intensive rehabilitation after brain surgery to remove a tumour.
The 12-year-old spent four months at the Surrey centre where she rebuilt her life, before returning to her home in Howard Road, Upminster.
Her mother, Nicola Smith, said during her placement at the charity Annabel relearned basic skills, that also included swallowing and holding her head up.
She said: “When we arrived Annabel still had a feeding tube inserted, had very limited speech and mobility, she could barely use her hands due to a bad tremor and was in a wheelchair.
You may also want to watch:
“The amazing rehabilitation she received laid the foundations for her success to grow and overcome these issues. She has gone from strength to strength and is now able to walk independently.”
The family, including Annabel’s dad, Danny and brother, Harry were provided with family accommodation so they could be involved in therapies and be with on her recovery.
- 1 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 2 Demolition 'will now begin' to make way for 120 homes at former campus
- 3 Signals at Hornchurch 'crash hotspot' now under review
- 4 Altered timetable means fewer fast trains between Romford and Liverpool Street
- 5 Ex-cop quizzed by police amid historic child sex investigation
- 6 Hornchurch man to face trial accused of teeth whitening offence
- 7 Sixth form denies knowledge of alleged A Level 'no confidence vote'
- 8 Gallows Corner Tesco development proposal refused
- 9 Major train disruption and cancellations through Barking via Rainham
- 10 ‘It was odd’: Nurse who battled breast cancer retires after 30 years
“So many people were involved in her rehabilitation, but a massive thanks must go to all the therapists at The Children’s Trust who worked with her. The charity has been wonderful.”
Annabel is still living with the effects of her brain injury but is continually improving and was well enough to join her fellow pupils at Upminster Junior School for their leaving bash.
“She is nearly there now and is working very hard at independent mobility,” said Nicola. “We sent The Children’s Trust a photo of her looking happy healthy and gorgeous along with her lovely supportive brother as she headed off for her prom at the end of July. We really appreciate the Trust’s work and input.