Romford political stalwart Alby Tebbutt to run as Ukip councillor
- Credit: Archant
Former Conservative fireband Alby Tebbutt will return to politics and join the Mayor of Havering at Ukip, and says he will “wipe the Romford Conservative Association off the face of the Earth.”
Mr Tebbutt, ex-chairman of the Romford Conservative Association (RCA) who left in 2012 during a bitter struggle between the old guard and its younger members, will run for the party in Pettits ward.
Yesterday (Thursday) he reignited his long-standing feud with his former protégée, Mr Rosindell.
“He called me a dinosaur, but dinosaurs are dead. I’m not dead,” he said.
He also took aim at the RCA’s current hierarchy.
You may also want to watch:
“Little conniving kids have taken over the association and deselected councillors who have been there for years,” he added.
“They are destroying the borough. Well, I’m going to blow the roof off.”
- 1 Firefighters fight car alight in Romford
- 2 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 3 From 100 steps to 10,000: Romford woman tackles serious health issues by losing third of body weight
- 4 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 5 BID installs wall of evergreen plants to ‘welcome people’ to Romford
- 6 Romford neighbours' outrage over ‘bonkers’ £20,000 council bill
- 7 Love Island star Kem Cetinay says Romford's Array to open 'in three weeks'
- 8 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 9 'We had no idea how big he was': 11lb 4oz baby born at Romford hospital
- 10 'Stay strong': West Ham footballers send messages to fan with cancer
On discovering the news, Mr Rosindell denied calling Mr Tebbutt a dinosaur.
He added: “When politicians become bitter and spiteful it shows it is time to leave and do other things with their lives.
“Sadly for Alby he is jeopardising the future of our borough by splitting the votes and allowing the possibility of Labour to come back.”
Ukip leader Lawrence Webb welcomed him to the party: “He will give us a tremendous boost. He’s a very colourful character, and he has a vast amount of experience.
“He will only help us should we get a large number of councillors elected. We are fighting to win.”
For more on the mayor’s switch to Ukip and Mr Tebbutt’s colourful career, click the links on the right.