Romford Pictures: Boris Johnson sweeps through Romford town centre
- Credit: Archant
Mayor of London Boris Johnson swept through Romford town centre this afternoon for a whistle stop tour promoting both the Romford Conservative Association and the town’s regeneration.
Crowds waited outside Romford Train Station as he arrived by train fashionably late, before marching down South Street with councillors and candidates in tow.
To view more pictures, click the link on the right
During his jaunt, which also saw him visit The Liberty Shopping Centre, the charismatic Mr Johnson was greeted by camera-wielding fans, posing for photographs and thriving on the good-natured heckles he received from afar, including “vote Ukip” and “vote Labour.”
He also spoke to the Recorder about his fondness for the town.
You may also want to watch:
“I love the atmosphere,” he said. “Whenever I come here I tend to go to the market - and get shouted at. It is a historic town centre. I have got a book about the history of Romford in my office - although I wouldn’t like to be tested on it!”
When quizzed on the latest political movements in the borough ahead of the elections, specifically that of the mayor, Cllr Eric Munday, defecting from the Tories to Ukip, Mr Johnson said he was unaware of the news, but highlighted the good work of the Romford party, also stating he will continue “pumping money into the area.”
- 1 Collier Row shooting: Police release CCTV in bid to trace man
- 2 Gallows Corner Tesco development proposal refused
- 3 'Heads should roll': Drug dealers left on Romford streets for eight months
- 4 Weekly Covid cases across east London revealed
- 5 Deep clean of Havering aims to get streets 'back to how they should be’
- 6 Sentencing of Harold Hill ATM robber is postponed
- 7 Mum opens Romford juice van to offer healthy snacks and drinks for kids
- 8 Daniel Laskos death: Court hearing for murder accused teens
- 9 Charity opens development to help homeless into independent living
- 10 Harold Hill man to be sentenced for ATM robberies
“We have good Conservative councillors here, like Osman [Dervish, RCA Chairman], and we are fielding a good team of candidates building on what we’re trying to do across London.”