Romford Pictures: Boris Johnson sweeps through Romford town centre
- Credit: Archant
Mayor of London Boris Johnson swept through Romford town centre this afternoon for a whistle stop tour promoting both the Romford Conservative Association and the town’s regeneration.
Crowds waited outside Romford Train Station as he arrived by train fashionably late, before marching down South Street with councillors and candidates in tow.
To view more pictures, click the link on the right
During his jaunt, which also saw him visit The Liberty Shopping Centre, the charismatic Mr Johnson was greeted by camera-wielding fans, posing for photographs and thriving on the good-natured heckles he received from afar, including “vote Ukip” and “vote Labour.”
He also spoke to the Recorder about his fondness for the town.
“I love the atmosphere,” he said. “Whenever I come here I tend to go to the market - and get shouted at. It is a historic town centre. I have got a book about the history of Romford in my office - although I wouldn’t like to be tested on it!”
When quizzed on the latest political movements in the borough ahead of the elections, specifically that of the mayor, Cllr Eric Munday, defecting from the Tories to Ukip, Mr Johnson said he was unaware of the news, but highlighted the good work of the Romford party, also stating he will continue “pumping money into the area.”
- 1 Isla Caton 'gains her angel wings' after five-year cancer battle
- 2 'I just shut my eyes': Murder accused tells of moment he ran over victim
- 3 WATCH: Man accelerates towards unconscious victim outside Sugar Hut
- 4 Hornchurch Japanese restaurant rejects licensing officer's advice over late opening application
- 5 Noise concern leads to conditioned approval for Hornchurch Japanese restaurant's alcohol and opening licence
- 6 Aldi given nod to open at former Mothercare branch in Romford
- 7 'Stop being so disgusting': Hornchurch mother's outrage at delivery drivers urinating on her house
- 8 Upminster bridal boutique gives back to frontline workers with £50 wedding dresses
- 9 Government denies campaigners' allegations Lower Thames Crossing is 'smart motorway'
- 10 Car park killing: John Avers the 'best friend' of hitman, court hears
“We have good Conservative councillors here, like Osman [Dervish, RCA Chairman], and we are fielding a good team of candidates building on what we’re trying to do across London.”