Recorder Question Time – what the candidates had to say
- Credit: Archant
Immigration, housing and policing were among the issues debated by the candidates vying to be Romford’s next MP at our hustings event last night.
The five candidates, Andrew Rosindell (Con), Lorna Tooley (Green), Ian Sanderson (Lib Dem), Gerard Batten (Ukip) and Sam Gould (Lab) were quizzed by Romford’s residents who wanted to know what the potential MPs think about the issues that concern them.
The evening started with a heated debate about immigration, during which each candidate outlined their stance on the divisive issue. At the conclusion of the debate, despite many different views aired, all except Ian Sanderson confirmed they would at the least seek a referendum on Britain’s membership of the European Union.
The candidates were then asked about child sex abuse and told those gathered how they would protect young people and seek justice for those affected.
Spending on policing was next on the agenda with Andrew Rosindell commenting that crime had fallen in the borough and suggesting Havering’s residents may be subsidising policing in inner-London.
You may also want to watch:
Finally in the light of the Conservative Party’s announcement it would revive Margaret Thatcher’s ‘Right to Buy’ scheme the candidates turned to housing policy.
All spoke of the difficulties young people in particular face getting on to the housing ladder and all had a different take on how best to tackle the issue.
- 1 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 2 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 3 Serial child sex offender jailed after found with 14,000 indecent images
- 4 Heritage: Is it Romford or Rumford? You decide
- 5 Romford man gains 100,000 signatures to scrap £200m Prince Philip yacht
- 6 Why Romford MP is allowed to keep names of donors secret
- 7 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 8 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 9 One teenager dead in Harold Wood triple stabbing
- 10 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
To find out what they said about these issues and more, see a full report in Friday’s Romford Recorder.