Rainham residents protest at ‘spiteful’ fence
Residents and councillors protested in Rainham on Sunday after a plot of open green space was fenced off by its owner.
A fence has been put up in Surridge Close around the green, which has recently been the subject of a failed planning application for two houses.
Resident Karen Roberts said: “The piece of land in the close has been played on by children and the owner has just put a 6ft fence up around it.
“It seems spiteful and it’s ruined the look of the street.”
Cllr Jeff Tucker (Independent Residents’ Group, Rainham and Wennington) said: “The community has used the green for years, it’s quite disappointing. I hope the community will be able to use it again.”
You may also want to watch:
The Recorder has been unable to contact the owner of the land.
- 1 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 2 Mum-of-two's long-term home 'nightmare' amid housing crisis
- 3 Romford student receives Amazon bursary for women studying computer science
- 4 Jailed: Dagenham car burglar after 100mph pursuit in Romford
- 5 Seventh person arrested in connection with fatal stabbing in Harold Wood
- 6 Met officers used 'excessive force' during Romford fight
- 7 Sensory room in Harold Hill school gets new mural
- 8 New care unit for over 75s opens at Queen's Hospital in Romford
- 9 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
- 10 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood