Rainham residents protest at ‘spiteful’ fence
Residents and councillors protested in Rainham on Sunday after a plot of open green space was fenced off by its owner.
A fence has been put up in Surridge Close around the green, which has recently been the subject of a failed planning application for two houses.
Resident Karen Roberts said: “The piece of land in the close has been played on by children and the owner has just put a 6ft fence up around it.
“It seems spiteful and it’s ruined the look of the street.”
Cllr Jeff Tucker (Independent Residents’ Group, Rainham and Wennington) said: “The community has used the green for years, it’s quite disappointing. I hope the community will be able to use it again.”
You may also want to watch:
The Recorder has been unable to contact the owner of the land.
- 1 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 2 Demolition 'will now begin' to make way for 120 homes at former campus
- 3 Signals at Hornchurch 'crash hotspot' now under review
- 4 Hornchurch man to face trial accused of teeth whitening offence
- 5 Altered timetable means fewer fast trains between Romford and Liverpool Street
- 6 Ex-cop quizzed by police amid historic child sex investigation
- 7 Sixth form denies knowledge of alleged A Level 'no confidence vote'
- 8 Gallows Corner Tesco development proposal refused
- 9 Major train disruption and cancellations through Barking via Rainham
- 10 ‘It was odd’: Nurse who battled breast cancer retires after 30 years