Poll: Collier Row estate could get £130,000 Commonwealth name change for Queen celebration
- Credit: Archant
What better way to celebrate the Queen becoming the longest-reigning monarch than by naming estate blocks after Commonwealth countries?
Cabinet member for housing and deputy leader Damian White (Conservative, Squirrels Heath) spoke at cabinet on Wednesday about plans to improve the Highfield Road Estate in Collier Row over the next year to the tune of £1.85million.
The aim is to redecorate blocks, repair balconies, upgrade door entry systems and improve landscapes by September 9.
If that date seems very specific, it’s because it is when the Queen becomes the longest serving monarch, taking Queen Victoria’s title. To commemorate that, blocks will be renamed after Commonwealth countries.
“It sounds a bit quirky,” said Cllr White, a friend of monarch-loving Romford MP Andrew Rosindell. “But there is a great sense of pride among residents that they have been selected to benefit from such an occurrence.”
You may also want to watch:
Opposition councillors were not convinced. Cllr Ray Morgon (Residents’ Association, Hacton), asked for a breakdown of costs, which were not included in the report, and was told renaming would cost £100-130,000.
“It’s a huge cost just to rename something,” he said.
- 1 Gallows Corner Tesco development proposal refused
- 2 Best places to have a curry in Havering as chosen by readers
- 3 Collier Row shooting: Police release CCTV in bid to trace man
- 4 Havering's Hospitality Heroes revealed: Which venues are crowned winners?
- 5 Daniel Laskos death: Court hearing for murder accused teens
- 6 'Heads should roll': Drug dealers left on Romford streets for eight months
- 7 Charity opens development to help homeless into independent living
- 8 Sentencing of Harold Hill ATM robber is postponed
- 9 National Hospitality Day: Locals stuck by cafe through 'thick and thin'
- 10 Covid cases drop at Queen’s and King George hospitals
What do you think of the idea? Contact Sam on 020 8477 3810 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.