Police close A13 in Wennington as car speeds wrong way down dual carriageway
- Credit: Archant
Police officers were forced to temporarily close a stretch of the A13 last night (Wednesday, September 5) after a car driving the wrong way down the dual carriageway caused traffic chaos.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman confirmed officers were called to a stretch of the road at Wennington to reports of cars travelling the wrong way at 10.23pm.
They attended the scene and closed the road briefly while officers supervised traffic flow.
There are no reports of any arrests or serious injuries.
Motorists faced delays of up to an hour while emergency services responded to the incident, with many taking to Twitter to confirm they had seen a car heading at speed the wrong way down the 60mph stretch of road.
You may also want to watch:
The Met has so far been unable to confirm reports that a multi-vehicle collision occured as a result of dangerous driving.
Transport for London’s Traffic News twitter account confirmed traffic had finally returned to normal on the road at 3.35am.
- 1 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 2 Romford man gains 100,000 signatures to scrap £200m Prince Philip yacht
- 3 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 4 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 5 Why Romford MP is allowed to keep names of donors secret
- 6 Serial child sex offender jailed after found with 14,000 indecent images
- 7 Town centre app launches to entice shoppers to Romford
- 8 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 9 'I've never felt so excited' - Theatre company saved from collapse
- 10 Romford Tesco Extra plants trees to offset car emissions