Police close A13 in Wennington as car speeds wrong way down dual carriageway
- Credit: Archant
Police officers were forced to temporarily close a stretch of the A13 last night (Wednesday, September 5) after a car driving the wrong way down the dual carriageway caused traffic chaos.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman confirmed officers were called to a stretch of the road at Wennington to reports of cars travelling the wrong way at 10.23pm.
They attended the scene and closed the road briefly while officers supervised traffic flow.
There are no reports of any arrests or serious injuries.
Motorists faced delays of up to an hour while emergency services responded to the incident, with many taking to Twitter to confirm they had seen a car heading at speed the wrong way down the 60mph stretch of road.
You may also want to watch:
The Met has so far been unable to confirm reports that a multi-vehicle collision occured as a result of dangerous driving.
Transport for London’s Traffic News twitter account confirmed traffic had finally returned to normal on the road at 3.35am.
- 1 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 2 Signals at Hornchurch 'crash hotspot' now under review
- 3 Sixth form denies knowledge of alleged A Level 'no confidence vote'
- 4 Ex-cop quizzed by police amid historic child sex investigation
- 5 Havering road and rail delays to look out for next week
- 6 Gallows Corner Tesco development proposal refused
- 7 Altered timetable means fewer fast trains between Romford and Liverpool Street
- 8 Collier Row shooting: Police release CCTV in bid to trace man
- 9 Best places to have a curry in Havering as chosen by readers
- 10 'Heads should roll': Drug dealers left on Romford streets for eight months