Police close A13 in Wennington as car speeds wrong way down dual carriageway
- Credit: Archant
Police officers were forced to temporarily close a stretch of the A13 last night (Wednesday, September 5) after a car driving the wrong way down the dual carriageway caused traffic chaos.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman confirmed officers were called to a stretch of the road at Wennington to reports of cars travelling the wrong way at 10.23pm.
They attended the scene and closed the road briefly while officers supervised traffic flow.
There are no reports of any arrests or serious injuries.
Motorists faced delays of up to an hour while emergency services responded to the incident, with many taking to Twitter to confirm they had seen a car heading at speed the wrong way down the 60mph stretch of road.
The Met has so far been unable to confirm reports that a multi-vehicle collision occured as a result of dangerous driving.
Transport for London’s Traffic News twitter account confirmed traffic had finally returned to normal on the road at 3.35am.
- 1 Car park killing: John Avers the 'best friend' of hitman, court hears
- 2 Man and woman arrested following Hornchurch stabbing
- 3 Construction company asks to make changes to approved 40-flat development in Romford
- 4 Rainham road closed as tactic to stop flytipping
- 5 'Pupils love coming here': Romford primary school retains 'good' rating
- 6 Plans to convert hotel into housing rejected despite residents' support
- 7 Tribute paid to father one year after death in council hostel
- 8 Two Havering councillors to stand down at next election
- 9 Mum-of-two honoured by US president Joe Biden
- 10 Plan for homes next to listed Hornchurch water tower rumoured to cover monks’ escape tunnel