New Year’s Honours: Honrchurch man thanks work colleagues
Hornchurch’s Alan Sanderson said that the people he has worked with in difficult times, helped him get his MBE.
Alan grew up in Bolton, Greater Manchester, but moved south to work in the energy industry including at power stations in Tilbury and West Thurrock.
The member of the institute of mechanical engineers, who has been plant manager at Kingsnorth power station in Kent for six years, said: “I haven’t got this for what I’ve done. I’ve got this because I’ve had a lot of good people around me.
“This is really for the team that I’ve led and the people that I’ve worked with.
“In all of my career it’s been these last six years or so that I’ll remember more than anything else.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “I guess I’m most proud of the way the team at Kingsnorth come together in difficult times.
“We’ve had engineering incidents to deal with, we’ve had protesters on our doorstep and we’ve also had to deal with the announcement that the plant is to close.
- 1 Watch police fine seven in Romford for watching TV together
- 2 Mick Norcross, The Only Way Is Essex star, has died aged 57
- 3 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 4 British Gas engineers burn contracts at Havering Town Hall in defiance of 'sign or be fired'
- 5 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 6 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 7 Harvey, 7, died after electric shock 'flowed through his body', court hears
- 8 'A tax on relationships': Politicians criticise boundary charge proposal
- 9 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
- 10 Police appeal after second fatal Rainham collision in less than a week
“It’s the way everyone has rallied round and how we’ve handled these incidents, that’s what makes me proudest. The people here have been first class.”
Alan lives in Hornchurch with his wife Pat and their three daughters.
He received the MBE for services to the energy industry.